Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goodbye Behringer- Hello BMAX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robear22, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I ordered a BMAX SS today and should be here on Friday. Thank you guys on the input and the various threads that I looked up with the search engine. Hopefully she will sound as good as most of you say. The Behringer V-amp is relegated to home duty. I may sell it to a newb who may want it.

I will post a review and pictures of my new rack setup when everything is all situated. Thanks again fellas. :hyper: :hyper:

2. sweet!!!

3. Welcome to the BMax Brotherhood!

4. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Thank you. It will arrive on Friday per UPS traking info. I have somewhere to play on Friday too so I might be able to work it out also. Anything I should know about this thing beforehand??

5. YES!!!!
    Be very careful with the first gain stage! It's extremely sensitive and can be easily overloaded by high output pickups. I can't use mine over 1/4 of the way because it clips and distorts.

I have contacted BBE regarding this, and they do a 'no-cost-to-the-customer' mod to remedy this. I will send mine over for retrofitting this week.

6. Make sure you read the owner's manual about setting the EQ
    flat. It's a bit tricky at first.

Also, if you're not bi-amping and using more than one speaker,
    you'll need to get an adapter(single male to double female 1/4 inch).
    Unless you aren't going to run the direct out to a board,
    then you can use the 1/4 inch out to one speaker, and the xlr
    out to the other.

7. I like my BMax alot. I have it paired with a tube power amp. Got some sweet thump.

8. You could also use a crossover.

9. I am using my BMAX to a Rane DC24 dynamic controller that has a built-in crossover. Now that's a hot combination. The good thing about the DC24 is that you can split your signal in two using the crossover (low and high) and then process the dynamics thorugh it separately - it has dual compression/dynamics channels (you can even use the effects loop/signal chain to processs specific frequency range - say, send your highs through distortion or wah effects and keep your lows intact) and then you can either combine the output to one of the jacks or send each frequency range to a separate power amp. It's one hot piece of gear. That combined with the superb sound of the BMAX, I'm in NIRVANA (not the band).

10. I guess I said what I said in a very roundabout way.
    If you're bi-amping you're obviously using a crossover,
    'cause the BMax doesn't have one.

11. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I got it yesterday and am truly amazed by the clarity and the hi fi sound. This is truly an amp for people that like their sound clean and tight. I tried all three of my basses through it and I heard the subtle differences in each one. I have to play tomorrow so I will put it through its paces and post a review and some pics of the new setup. I am so happy. Thanks to all of you guys who posted reviews and gave their opinions on this subject. I believe this is one of the best purchases I have ever made. :hyper: :hyper: :D :D

12. I run mine thru an Ampeg 8x10. I still get the clarity and the Ampeg rock sound into one. I love it.

13. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Mr. Wunderful-
    How loud is that BMAX/Carvin 100w tube amp combo? Enough for small/med gig?

14. I'm in a 3 piece where the guitarist uses a 50watt Fender combo and I've got plenty of power. Used it this past weekend at an outdoor show outside of SXSW in Austin did'nt even mic it. I left it up for backline and most people used except for one very heavy band I dont think is was enough power for the mighty MUGZU.

15. The simple answer is yes. I use it at big gigs too just run a line out of the BMAX to the PA. I always have enough stage volume.