1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Goodbye MXR, Hello Electro-Harmonix

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Well, I picked up an MXR Stereo Chorus a while back and have been using it extensively. There were a few things that really bothered me with this pedal. First, it runs on 18 volts, which is a hassle for me to power. Second, it is very subtle. I know a lot of you would prefer it that way but I want my effects to be clearly audible and prevalent. Last, it has a Bass Filter button that only applies the effect to high frequencies. This would be a cool feature, but it really makes your chorus sound like it is just heaped on top of your clean tone. There is a distinction between the two that is anything but smooth. With the Bass Filter off, there is noticeable lack of intensity in the lower registers. Now, I don't want to completely knock this pedal. It does the nice, subtle chorus better than anything I have heard yet, it just isn't what I'm looking for. It also sounds great with acoustic guitar. There is a cool feature regarding the stereo outputs as well. You can use both outputs for a stereo effect, or you can use a TRS cable in the mono output and still get a stereo effect. Cool. Anyway, I was wanting something a little more "in your face" and I happened across an EH Small Clone. This is exactly what I need right now. I bought one after reading good things about them on TB. Most of the reviews were right. It is very smooth, lush and quiet. No low end loss or volume drop, like I have encountered with other modulation effects, either. This one is a keeper. It really sounds great with a little OD thrown in the mix, too. So, thank you TB, for helping me to find the Chorus I have been searching for.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    electro-harmonix rocks.
    that is all.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

+5698

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    To be honest, I'm really not a big fan. I've had a few of their pedals and there always seems to be one caveat to them being perfect. My Mini Q-Tron spiked my volume way up, the bypass on my Russian Muff cut my signal off intermittently, and both Bassballs I had introduced a lot of noise. They are way too big to smoothly integrate into a pedalboard and some of them are a pain to power. All of the newer ones are true bypass though, so that problem should be resolved. The other part that I didn't include in my first post is that the first Small Clone I brought home didn't work at all. Luckily, I was able to replace it. The one I have now is cool, and I really like the "wetness" of the effect. I am going to rehouse it into a Hammond 1590BB enclosure, though.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The reason I've been asking about other distortions is that the English Muff'n is:

1) 12VAC - I'd love to keep everything down to one plug even if that means useing a dunlop brick

2) I loved the distortion when I first got the pedal. Nice and clear, real gritty too. But now, it seems too low-key for me.

3) I can fit 2 boss pedals in the space of 1 of these things.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    As a former owner of an EHX Small Clone, I can attest that it's a great pedal.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yes it is. It's the best of the EHX pedals I have owned and the best chorus pedal I have owned, too. I would still like to check out a Homebrew Electronics THC, though. This one looks promising.

8. Is it possible to create just a subtle sound with this pedal? I like EHX and I can buy this pedal for a pretty good price..

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah, it can do subtle. Just put the Depth switch down and turn the rate down too.