Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Goofy" Band Mates

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DiG, Oct 27, 2004.

1. To start it off, some background information, all of our band mates are in the 14-16 age range, we started about a year and a half ago (juneish last year) with me (bass) and my friend on lead guitar, our other friend who played guitar (rhythm) joined with us very soon afterwards (maybe a week or so). When we started talking about it at school, another one of our friends said "hey, i played the drums a while back, I'll get into it again and start taking lessons again"

within a month everyone was doing reasonably good and we had 2-3 songs we jammed too when we practiced. As months progressed we noticed some jam sessions consisted of us (namely our rhythm guitarist and drummer) just playing our own stuff and almost *practicing* their instrument there, when they shoujld have done that at home, obviously. This got progressively worse when we got to the begininning of summer. By then we had ditched a bunch of our songs, and really only had one song we could play all the way through (an original).. When talking about the band early that summer, one of my friends mentioned that he used to sing in choir or something a year or so ago, we said "come sing for us" maybe jokingly, maybe not, im not really sure, but I kept saying to him, "you really shud atleast try it out, see how you sound," cause he was really unsure of himself. We decided to cover a song (Fade to black by metallica), after playing it a few times it sounded very good. that was about all we accomplished during the summer, aside from our drummer forgetting his beat for our one original...
    in the beginning of september we have started to work on another original which we havent gotten much more progress with since, me and the lead guitar player have all the parts we need and we are working on a meledy with the vocalist, its a little hard to progress though when your drummer isnt doing anything while we play it and our rhythm guitar player doesnt help...

Do you think we have a problem?? or is this normal?

Basically, our last practice went like this (not to different from the majority of recent practices): we play fade to black, we try to play a new cover but it gets **** up by our r-guitarist or durmmer going off beat completely, we try to work on an original or get something done but r-guitarist and drummer just paly random **** and we cant even converse, we will usually have to go outside and talk to get more done, and often, they will just walk out and leave, which is totally unacceptable...

Also, we have another guitarist friend who is a BETTER drum player than our drummer, unfortunately he is quite busy and is in 5 bands ATM, so he can only jam with us sometimes, but we have almost written more snogs with him than with our real drummes :s

IF you actually read all this please comment, we are stuck of what to do, the guitarist and drummer are good friends, yet they are holding us back, our guitarist seems serious about it, and the drummer says that he is always practicing and serious about it (it is obvious he doesnt practice ofter, if at all, as he has gotten worse at drumming since he got his new computer... he can barely keep a steady beat half the time).

Thanks

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    well, if it was me, I would take off with the lead guitarist and start my own thing. If this is done right, then it doesn't have to end any friendships. You guys obviously have different ways of making music, so let them be together and you two find people who are more your style. ya know?

3. I'm known to start throwing whatever I can get my hands on if there's a drummer who can't keep in time.

It makes me go CRAZY!
    Tell the culprits to get lessons or they're out. Harsh, but how far do you think you'll get, with people who can't play their instruments properly. Sure everybody starts somewhere, but if its 2 people inexperienced compared to 2 experienced there's bound to be conflict.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was in a band that use to drive me nuts! We'd suggest cover songs and I'd put them on tape. After a week with the tape, the drummer, horn section, and I would have the material down cold. The singer would use rehearsal time to learn the lyrics, and the guitarist, keyboardist and percussionist would use valuble rehearsal time to actually listen to the songs! :mad: After a while I'd had enough, so I ran off with the drummer and horn section, and started a new band.

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    while ago we were auditioning a drummer who did f**k all at home and told us he considers it normal to 'shape' the song in rehearsal. :crying:

6. Ice Cold

Ice Cold

Oct 31, 2004
    i was in a simular situation. I just took all my songs and left the band, i was sick and tired of being a baby sitter. make sure the people in your band who are serious know you sick of the crap, and take the suggestion of one of the above posts and start your own thing.

7. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    hey dude it sounds like your friends are more into the show part of "being" in a band than actually being in it for the whole band. Sounds more like they just think its cool to "be" in a band than to actually be a worthwhile part of it. I'd say ditch the ones that aren't helping with the move forward--sounds like their just holding back the dedication that you and the other good one have. If you still want to be friends with them you can do that just make it sound sincere that you just don't see it working out that well. Sometimes friends are not the best choice--i'm looking for get into a band soon and i wound not even think of wanting to be in a band with friends, 'cause you know your friends, but becoming friends with others who enjoy music as you do just makes it better, plus getting to know and working with people you don't know as well just makes you that much more better and adaptable to your environment. I'd say shoot for your goal, don't let lazy group members hold back anyone, because that just doesn't work.

8. Become a jam band, and play really simple songs that everyone can just jam on and stuff.

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've been doing this since I was nine years old. I'm now 39, and I've learned a lot by trial and error and by watching others do it better than me. I don't have all the answers, but here's my take on this.

This is a problem you will be faced with in most bands. Some members will work on material at home, and others will learn it at rehearsal.

You need to have a meeting (without your instruments) over a pizza or a coke, where every one can sit and discuss the issues without the distraction of noisy intruments. Do it in your kitchen, at a restuarant or in the school yard, but do it where there will be no distractions. You need to make sure every one wants to do the same type of music and wants to move forward like you do. That means that every one has to practice at home each night. Tell the drummer that you think he's better than he has shown lately. Tactfully suggest lessons. I can't stress the importance of lessons for EVERY musician enough. If every one wants to be focussed and move forward, then give them a chance. But if it doesn't help, move on by changing members or just move to another band yourself. There is nothing wrong with having jam sessions with friends and a motivated band with another group of people. There may also be some cross over.

Each rehearsal has to have a clear agenda. This is best done at the end of the previous rehearsal. "Everyone has to know their parts to Such and Such song by the next rehearsal. If you don't know it, please call us and don't come to rehearsal." I am forever saying in my band, "Practice is what you do at home. Rehearsal is what we do here." Those members who show up unprepared are just waisting your time and are not worth playing with if you are motivated.

I guess my point to this long winded post is that you have to treat the band as a buisiness to a point. Yes, it's supposed to be fun, but you seem to be frustrated- and that's not fun. Time management becomes even more important as you get older with work, a house and a family. I wish I had half of the free time I had when I was in my teens. Making good music that you can be proud of can be very rewarding.

Have fun, and good luck!