1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got a hum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scheek, Apr 2, 2013.

1. scheek

scheek

Apr 2, 2013
    I just replaced both pots and output jack on a Musicmaster bass, a single PU. The pickguard does not have grd foil.

I purchased the pots and output jack prewired. I feel they are right. There are no switches.

I have a grd coming from bridge that is grd to pot.
    I have a grd from PU to pot
    I have red wire from PU to lead wire on vol pot.

However, I have a hum. I have not put strings on. Guitar cord is good. Other guitars do not hum with amp.

I disconnected PU and it still hums. I can tell that the vol and tone are working. Vol off cuts hum.

Any clues? :confused:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ground wire to the bridge hooked up?

3. scheek

scheek

Apr 2, 2013
    Yes. It is. However, I did alligator clip to bridge and to one side of output plug and it stopped. I hooked it to the hot side thought. Go figure. Does that make sense.:confused:

4. scheek

scheek

Apr 2, 2013
    Will not having strings on make it hum?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, I have had hum problems on basses with no strings that went away once strung. Not sure why, though.

6. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    because the grounded strings acted as further shielding.

7. scheek

scheek

Apr 2, 2013
    Trouble shot and found that my single pickup was bad. Temporary, I hooked up a strat 6 pole single pole and it worked. Still got a hum WITH strings. Stops when I put my hands on strings. Too, I have a tremendous amount of treble. The pots are wired for a P_bass which is wrong. I should have wired for a MUsicmaster bass. This is my fault though. the harness which I got off ebay (a good one) was pre-wired for P-Bass. I'm thinking I may have to undo the soldering an re-wire. I need a good schematic thought.

I'm not sure if the 6 pole has any affect on the treble. Whatcha think.