1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got My Butt Kicked at AN Audition

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I leaned 4 Power Trio Songs for the audition, Manic Depression, To Rolling Stoned, Cold Shot and To Hard To Handle.

I learned them in the keys from their Web Site, at the audition they changed the keys, I guess that was ok,

Should have bought my own gear, I could not get any bottom out of the 15 inch practice amp.

The Drummer was good, so was the guitarist and he could sing.

Bottom line, I don't think I would get along with the guitarist.

Auditions are like blind dates, alot more has to click than just the music.

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    You're a strong dude for admitting you got your butt kicked. Most of us have had similar experiences at one time or another. I have.
    Auditions are like blind dates but that's kinda cool too 'cause you can make new connections.
    I had an audition where I got a weird vibe off the drummer (personality wise) and he was the dude who placed the ad so after, I thought it was bust - until the (excellent) guitar player called me and told me the drummer's out and he wants me in.
    That was 8 years ago and that guitar player and I have been in 3 bands, including our current one which has been going strong for 3 years.
    So, ya never know.

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    QFT

Even if you miss some notes or struggle with a change in key you will still have an idea of the kind of people you're playing with. Either it feels good or it doesn't.

I had an interesting audition once... I answered an ad and went over to the singer's house on the way to their practice. He showed me his lyrics and that was my first "uh oh" moment but went ahead.

The first tune was a fun bluesy thing in A. The drummer and I locked in fairly well and afterwards they were all looking at each other like "hey, this guy's pretty good!" Cool....

The next jam was also in A. I played out a little more since the changes were exactly the same. Again, they were pleased.

Before the next tune I asked what key it was going to be in and the guitarist said he didn't know but he played me the changes... it was, of course, in A.

I said, "hey, you know all your tunes so far have been in A right?" Silence.

:bag:

We got through that one and then the guitarist played the changes for another one AGAIN in A. This time he seemed a little embarrassed.

Well, that was the end of that audition.

4. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009

+1 for every time this has happened to me. You'd be surprised how many teen musicians don't know a thing about changing keys :D

5. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    These were 30-somethings...:rollno:

6. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Went to an audition, 6 bass players in the living room waiting.

I kept letting everyone go before me and used that time to learn the songs they were
    all trying to play. :)

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, been there. I think I'm a pretty damn good bassist with one hellova ear but when a band starts pulling out sheet music to jazz standards..............Some Navy band cats! I just couldn't hang!

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Make that a sticky!

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I'm just the opposite: Someone pulls out sheet music, I'm like "oh thank god!"

It's when they don't have any charts and they gimme the old "Oh, you must be familiar with this tune" or "Oh, it's easy, I'll just call out the changes" crap that I start to feel like I'm trapped in a bad Fellini movie.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I think bands might be good at being a band, but I guess there is no protocol or guidlines with how to conduct an audition.

I think most of these bands just wing it.

It must be tough for bands that have solid bookings.

For me, I am going to continue doing auditions, but I am going to ask a lot more questions.

I am looking for a rock band with solid bookings and nice festival (stage and tent shows) gigs for the summer.

It's funny , I have not had any problems playing any of the songs I have auditioned, I think age is a barrior, I'm 56 and a lot of the bands are younger however the last guys were in their mid 40s.

blue

blue

11. I rearely show up blind to meet people - I don't show up unless have spoken on the phone with most of the members

It is more like a social club or golf club than music. I'll play all day long with cool dudes who need some lessons.. Virtuosos who don't get it eventually crawl inside them selves (head first).

T.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am looking for a rock band with solid bookings and nice festival (stage and tent shows) gigs for the summer.

You guys aren't going stray away from the topic with Tent Show jokes are you? :D

13. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland

There's a bad Fellini movie?

seriously. I have never payed a song at an audition that was in anything other than a, e or d. it's odd

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, like the guys said: It's good to talk to someone a few times BEFORE you show up. I've always been worried about being ripped off (I've always had nice gear) at one of these things, so I always chat the guys up and get solid contact info first

15. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    Experience is the best teacher period - the second best is having to stretch yourself musically to play with the folks you're playing with.

16. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    There are no bad Fellini movies.

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Fine, would you prefer "bad Disney movie"?

18. YUP, sometimes you score,,, sometimes you don't.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In my defense, their ad said they wanted to start an R&B, Funk, Jazz mix band but then they started pulling out songs from the Fake Book and calling out tunes like Spain and Giant Steps! And then went full out on me. I can read but I can't 'sight read' as fast as someone who does it for a living. Thankfully, that's the ONLY audition I have ever failed at!

20. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I think a rule to live by is "2 out of 3 aint bad." I once read an article (I believe in Bass Player mag), that pretty much summed up my take on things. For the perfect band, you gotta have 1. good music, 2. good hang, 3. good pay. If you can get 2/3, you're in pretty good shape.

That being said, the last band I auditioned for didn't happen. The pay was questionable. The music was good, but they practiced WAY too loud for me. The hang with one of the guys would have been cool, but I couldn't get a read on the drummer, while one of the guitarists work a jerk vibe on his sleeve. I wanted things to work with the one guy, because he's the one that contacted me, but in the end, it wasn't worth it. I showed up for the audition. They offered an amp for me to use instead of bringing in my gear. The guitarist wanted to call out changes, which is more irritating than useful to me. The fact that I their bass amp was clipping preamp and output affirmed my thoughts on not bringing my gear in the door. Yeah, I guess I could have brought my rig in and heard myself...but why bother?

Hm. I've got 2 bands now with 2 outta 3, and one may soon have the 3. Yet, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

:)