1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got My Elixir Neos - Something's Wrong!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 10, 2010.

1. I want to change the intonation and playability of my MIJ P-bass and I went to GC and got some 045/100 Elixir Nanos.

I am supposed to have this very same string set on my SR500 Ibanez and since I like them a lot I decided to try them on the P too.

Taking them out of the box and sleeves they just do NOT look the same as what's on my Ibanez - no way, no how! :hyper:

The strings on my 2009 SR500 are supposed to be stockers, and from all I know they are since I also noodled around on a 5-stringer in the same brand and year as mine. They are smooth, silky and just nice to play.

What I have here in the Elixir box does not look the same at all.

The package was unopened and I see no signs of a bogus string swap - so what am I supposed to do - are these the real McCoy or not?

Are there any markings on the strings - colors, deigns, etc., that I should see? Is there a coating I can actually see?

2. Firstly, what the heck is a "neo" never heard of that from Elixir, do you mean nanoweb?

Secondly, what about them looks different?

3. +1 & secondly- +2 What are neo's???

4. OK - 'nanos' they are but they make lots of noise and you can prolly hear my heartbeat in them.

They whistle and zip and make all kinds of noise.

Is it just the P?

5. You may have polywebs on one and nanowebs on the other. There is a difference. The polywebs are thicker with the coating visible on the string, where the nanowebs have a much thinner coating and is harder to see the coating on.

6. I'll get that figured out - next trip to GC. I was told that I needed the Nanos, and the polys were discontinued by someone on a diff site.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Sadly (for me at least), the polys for bass are no more.

8. Are there any other strings that have the coating that the old-obsolete Polys had?

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Not really man, sorry.

10. Thumper828

Thumper828

Jan 29, 2010
    North Carolina
    I actually e-mailed elixir about there polyweb.They replied. They do not make them anymore.

11. Maybe it's time to find some flats then. I had some in 1964 or so. I wonder what I did with them!?!

I haven't seen them since I moved (about 30 times ago!).

12. I figured that these new strings are not what I wanted so I went and tried something kinda odd - maybe.

I paste waxed them.They are a lot nicer now. Deeper, not anywhere as much string noise and they are a lot smoother feeling too.

Hopefully it lasts a while - but I have a large can of Mother's Carnauba Paste Wax and I now know how to use it.

13. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    OK I've heard a lot but this is a new one on me.

14. CURED

ROTO 45-105 / 77s.

All is well now.