Got my father a new mic for Christmas

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My father has recently started playing out again. His gig is very low production - powered mixer into some tops with backline covering instruments. It's a fairly low volume gig. However, I know he hasn't upgraded his mic in a while, so I thought I'd grab him one for Christmas, which I'll be giving him later today.

I picked up a Sennheiser E935. The very helpful GC employee told me to A/B it with the tried-and-true Beta 58. When we went back to the pro audio room and tried them out, I thought the Sennheiser was the clear winner. While the Beta sounded good, the E935 had a little something extra. It was a bit more hyped in the top that gave the mic presence without sounding nasally or tinny. It also had a bit more punch.

Dad's a baritone with a lot of energy around 250hz, so I'm thinking the E935 is going to work well with his voice.

hrodbert696 and Bufalo like this.
  2. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have sang through most of the popular choices during my time and have ultimately chosen 935's for my own personal use. They absolutely give you a little more oomph without sounding strained or artificial. Great move! :thumbsup:

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Good choice! I got one myself a few weeks ago. Haven't played out with it yet, but definitely liking it better at home so far.

4. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I wound up buying an Audix OM5 for a Christmas present to myself a few days ago. If my local store would have had a 935 in stock I would have definitely given it a listen.

5. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Excellent choice. Back in the spring of 2009 I played an outdoor festival with a supplied back-line and all of the mics were the e935. Was so impressed with the sound out in the audience area that I just had to have one. Got the e945 instead because of the different pick-up pattern but they are close siblings. Been one of the best purchases I've ever made. What a nice gift.

M. M. :)

6. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I picked up an OM5 a couple of months ago for times when I need more GBF than I can get with an SM58. Boy, you really need to stay right up on that mic!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    We gave it a whirl last night and were both very impressed. Dad has a gig coming up on the 9th, so I'm eager to learn how it does on stage.

blowinblue likes this.
  8. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I tend to eat the mic so that isn't a problem. The main difference between that a nd a 58 is the bass proximity effect. The OM5 is very low.

jad likes this.
  9. BucketOfFish

BucketOfFish

Mar 17, 2014
    I was about to buy a new e935 when one popped up on the local CL. After watching some videos on how to spot fakes I snagged it. I let my favorite singer use it and I won't be getting it back anytime soon. She will loan it to me if I ask nicely.:thumbsup:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021