1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got my first speeding ticket tonight :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiggybass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Was passing someone on the 69 highway, 2 lane 90km/h limit. He was slightly under so I passed him, as I was coming back in the lane and slowing down, a cop comes out of nowhere and writes me up a ticket for 122km/h in a 90km/h zone. How else can you pass if you don't speed up to beat the oncoming traffic? I'm pretty pissed off.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Did you exceed the speed limit?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Exactly. The only argument the officer has to make was that if you needed to break the speed limit to pass, then you didn't need to be passing.

That was mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was failing to try to get out of the ticket by flashing some moob.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You're typing so fast you're spelling stuff wrong.

I say you deserve the ticket.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you had to speed up, then it wasn't safe to pass.

You should have kept it down to 110......

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    By my count, if you were going 32 km/h over, that is 19 mph over the speed limit. Just as a point of reference above 25 mph CAN get you a ticketed for reckless driving in the U.S.

Definitely deserved the ticket. If you have to speed up that much to pass, you shouldn't be passing.

7. Welcome to the club.

I got a ticket for 5 over.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    just be happy you haven't gotten a jaywalking ticket.....!!!!! hahahahahahha

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

Cop's just doing his job. Stop complaining and take it like a man.

10. dpeeding??? lol! I first when I saw this thread, I thought you got a ticket for peeing!:bag:

11. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Here you lose your driving license temporarily for driving 30 km/h over the speed limit, at least if you already have a record.. I once drove 31 km/h too fast but didn't get but a fine. 352 €. That's a lot. Now I normally only drive about 10 km/h over the speed limit. That's about how fast I can go without getting a fine....

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Why do you risk it in the first place? Speed limits are there for everyone's safety. By going over, be it 10km/h or 100km/p, you're risking your safety end everyone else's on the road. Unless everyone else is speeding and you're creating more danger by going slower than everyone else, there should be no need to actually go over the limit.

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Everyone is speeding 5-10 km/h here. Everyone knows you won't get a fine for that. If you're driving 100 where the limit is 100, you'll quickly end up with a long belt of cars waiting for the next chance to overtake. It's pretty annoying.

And I'm not always speeding. Sometimes if I'm a bit tired or just not in a hurry at all I drive slower because it lowers the gas consumption.

The speed limits are from a time when all cars were less stable than today and you can't by any means compare the safety level in a car from the 70's with a new one. The roads are also safer and better. They should IMO adjust the speed limits a bit to cope with the "recent" changes in technology....

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok fair enough, I know what you mean. There are quite a few roads like that down here. My apologies. :)

15. It's the damn cops again. Now they are coming out of nowhere. That should be illegal. They should have to come out of somewhere. Did the cop take your life savings as well?? :confused: Did he tazer you 17 times??? Did he arrest all your friends for no reason????? :bag:

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Have you been on that Chinese baby food, Knifemaker? :)

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hehe

Your post reminded me of this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108870

:)

18. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    That reminded me of a driver in Sweden who got a fine for speeding, but went to court about it because he obviously didn't agree that he was speeding. He won. The speed radar wasn't properly calibrated as it should have been...

Sorry for derailing the thread for a sec. Please continue...

19. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Well i've traveled that hwy 69 between Toronto
    and Sudbury for over twenty years for work,there
    are passing lanes about every 10-20 kms,you should
    have just waited for a passing lane..

TIP:
    While waiting for a pass lane, let the car in front of you
    be your scout,it can work wonders against speeding,
    moose,deer,road conditions and the like...slowdown

20. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, if the car you passed was driving a bit under 90km/h and your intention to drive exactly 90 on that road, then that must have been a long car if you reached 122 in order to pass just one car.

Or you must have a very powerful car.

Reaching 100 to pass a car doing (a bit under) 90 is acceptable.
    If there was that much uncoming traffic that you couldn't overtake at 100km/h safeley, it was not safe to overtake a car anyway... at any speed.

my €.02

For the record, I'm no saint either. :meh:
    I once did 160 in a 50km/h zone on a motorcycle and got caught. Licencse taken away for a month and a hefty fine.

But that was a long time ago. I take my "speeding" on the racetrack now.
    In my car I am captain slow now on the road.