Got Myself A Bongo... need an amp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderFingers, Feb 25, 2006.

1. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    .....something I didn't think was going to be possible.

Hello everyone, I'm a noob here on TB.

I would like to share my story and humbly ask for further advice.

It pretty much boils down to this. I was currently in need of a new head, cabinet, and bass. What really bites, is the fact that I've only got a good $1800-$2000 to spend. That's all I can really afford due to the courses of events that took place not all that long ago.

To basically sum up a very long story, I lost all my gear due to Hurricane Katrina and I'm just now starting to get back on my feet per say.

My family's alright, thank God, and we've relocated to Wichita Kansas for the time being. (We've got family there/here)

Anyways, due to my limited budget and the level of gear I'm used to having/playing, I'm really at a loss as to what to purchase.

Here's what I'm currently considering right now. For a new head, I'm thinking about the Carvin B1500. As for a new cabinet and bass, well, that's where things were starting to get complicated for me, due to my budget. I've thought about pairing the head with Carvins RL410T. If I did that combo, the RL410T along with the B1500, that would put me right at $998, plus shipping of course, which would leave me with roughly about $800-$1000 left for a new bass. I've also been looking at Aguilar cabinets as well. As for a bass, well before Katrina, I had a few EBMM's, in which up until tonight, I didn't think I'd be able to afford.

As luck would have it though, I landed me a new EBMM HH Bongo for $989 total. It's not the color I would have liked, but under the circumstances, I ain't complaining none. The color is Rolls Burgandy by the way.

I've been so down due to everything that has transpired, that I had even considered giving up playing all together. Something in which I've been lucky enough to make a living at for the past 15 years now.

At anyrate, if any of you have any advice or suggestions as to a new head and cabinet, I'd really appreciate any advice you could give as to what gear I should look at and possibly consider.

I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.

Thanks to everyone in advance. My words can't express how much I greatly appreciate it.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would definitely check out the carvin head, but I would use avatar cabs, due to pricing constraints. That's not to say that they aren't good stuff.
  3. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Welcome to TB!

Congrats on the new bass, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss, I hope everything goes as well as possibly. For Cabinets I'd take a look at avatar, , They are great cabs, and for the price I don't think you could find anything better. Best of luck in your gear shopping.
  4. used kustom groove bass 1200.
    then one of the following combos of avatar cabs
    really any combo of 2 avatar bass cabs and a used kustom 1200 would work for about 1000$
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hey, congrats on your Bongo! You'll love it. For a new rig, I'd suggest you to check mine (already recommended). I have nothing but praise for it. I think it'll suit your needs perfectly.
  6. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, it's greatly appreciated.
  7. pretty much exactly what i recomended

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your equipment. God will provide if you give it over to him.
    $1000 is enough to get a nice rig to go w/that Bongo.
    I would avoid the redline cabs. I would also avoid the Avatars.
    I own a B1500 w/the BRX12 cab & this thing smokes. SMASH did a review of this head in the amps section. The BRX cabs don't have carpeting which is cool if you're gigging for a living. They have a sealed crossover/jack plate w/speakon & 1/4". 3 1/2" removable casters. 83 lbs. Neo. Baltic Birch.
    If you puchase both together they knock off like $150.
    Explain to the salesman or manager what you've been thru over the last 6 mos & they will probably take care of you even more.
    They also just came out w/a lighter 4ohm 410 to go w/the B800.

Don't let Katrina get you down.
    Ask & you shall recieve.
  9. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks again guys, it means alot. I'll keep ya posted as to what decisions are made, and ultimately, what gear is bought.
  10. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    My Bongo will be here Thursday, and I can't wait! :hyper:

I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with as for a head, but I'm trying to juggle things around a little so I can go after a Schroeder cabinet.

That being said, I'm not ruling out any of the suggestions made by all you great guys, for the Schroeder's may not be doable since I do need to get a new head as well.

The hardest thing for me is trying not to wind up, or find myself going backwards instead of forwards. Meaning I had a lot of high end gear, all in which got wiped out by Katrina. I don't want to have to resort to cheap or less then good gear. I've been playing too long for entry level or intermediate gear. This is my life, the way I make my living. BUT, due to the courses of events, in addition to making a living, I've got to build or buy a new house, purchase new transportation, clothes, furniture, pretty much the whole nine yards. Some in which has been done all ready. I got to tell you all, I wouldn't wish this on my worst ememy.

Blues Cat,

Other then Schroeder, I've been contemplating Carvin's BRX cabinets, maybe we can talk sometime. It's always good to talk to owners of the gear you're considering.
  11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    When you're down Houston way give me a holla. Alotta Southern Louisiana folk in for restoration & comfort.
    I just ordered a bass from a cat in Baton Rouge.
    I checked out some live music on KPFT & the NO cats are just schooling us down here.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Congrats on the Bongo. I had a Rolls Burgundy Bongo for about a week. It was the ONLY color I'd have never chosen. I exchanged it because I decided against the single coil pickup which it had - and I can't tell you how much I miss that color now. In a weeks time it grew on me enormously and I now think the Rolls Burgundy was probably the most beautifu bass I ever owned. I had a plain ol black pickguard on it, and I thought it looked best like that. Fer whatever that's worth... :)

Sorry for your losses. Glad you're part of the Ernieball/MM family. Welcome. You must also (if you haven't already) pay a visit here .
  13. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    Blues Cat,

Will do bud! :)

Joe Nerve,

Thanks for the welcome man, I really appreciate it. I visit the EBMM forum almost daily as well, just haven't got around to joining yet.

As for my Bongo, it is Rolls Burgandy as previously mentioned. It's the HH config, but mine unfortunately doesn't have a black pickguard. It's got the white pearloid pickguard instead, but still looks really nice imo.
  14. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    My Rolls Burgandy Bongo will be here tomorrow, and I've got my digital camera on hand! :hyper:

This weekend will be all..........:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D
  15. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    And you saw the invitation from Sterling?

Anyway, congrats on the new bass. Now speak up!

16. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about a G-K rig??

Otherwise, MF is blowing out the Aguilar S Series cabs (810 for $599.99 delivered... :D ).
  17. ThunderFingers

Feb 20, 2006
    Sorry for the delay, but here's a few pics of my new baby! :hyper:

Oh, I apologize for their size. I didn't have time to resize the photo's.

18. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    If you can stand the look, the Bongo is a real killer bass! :bassist:

I can't stand it!
  19. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

I think I can learn to deal with the look.

Nice bass, dude. You like it?

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    For those who do not know, Bovinehost is playing what used to be Sterling Ball's personal bass in that pic which was presented to BH by the EB CEO as a present.