Got Scammed, but how?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gazman, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Any story today that starts with depositing money into someone's account is almost guaranteed to end with "and I got scammed."

As my friend once said, "the WHY question occurs to me." In today's world, this is an even better question.

We all have moments of guillibility. Unfortunately this one ended with an expensive lesson. If you contact the bank where you deposited the money, maybe there's a way you can trace the person who scammed you and take action.

I Google photos of instruments often, but I don't buy them that way. If I'm going to buy an instrument, it's going to be (1) on a retail site using a credit card so I can contest a charge, (2) online at a site like Ebay where I can use a credit card via Paypal, or (3) by meeting them and paying cash.

I wish you better luck and better decisions in the future.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve read about that but never got that far.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Man, I would have not sent you the exact same cab for only $300. JK, Sorry to hear about this happening to you.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    How? Sounds like it was an out-and-out confidence trick.

It could turn into a phishing scam if they've gotten hold of your bank and/or personal info. The $400 you lost might be the tip of the iceberg.

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If you transferred money you must've used your bank. I would contact them and describe it to the manager as what it is, theft. All PC's leave as footprints their address, it may be 176.92.00.01 or something similar. If that ad was placed on facebook and you still have your side of the conversation facebook has the technology to pinpoint the origin of the scumba….err thief who got you. Do both, alert and file a complaint with your bank and contact facebook.

MattZilla likes this.
  6. You ask: “How?”
    You sent money to someone you didn’t know except from a Facebook post.

If you can’t buy in person - you should buy from an auction or instrument selling site. Those sites have authentication that protects the buyer & seller.

Clark Dark and rzamites like this.
  7. Your faith that Google knows every image on the web is odd. Even then, photoshop a different coloured carpet on an image, crop it, then you and Google both would be hard pressed to spot it.

8. then the Police can get them good. That would be your first port of call. Then the bank may be able to help you if scambag left anything in the account, not sure how that works when you did the transfer.

Clark Dark likes this.
  9. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I have seen this over and over. The police won't even waste their time on stuff like this. At least here in the US of A. There was a thread where a TB member had a thief dead to rights trying to resell a stolen bass. The Wonderful Cops wouldn't lift a finger to assist. I know it seems like it would be a simple "Bust" for the Police but good luck getting them to get involved. It's just so much easier for cops to hide along the highway and hand out speeding tickets.

Clark Dark likes this.
  10. Hmm, It had never occurred to me that a harmonica player would need a separate amp. I guess I assumed they would be put through a mic via the PA system.

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Harmonica players get extremely picky about their amps. I had this little old silvertone guitar amp for sale and 1/2 dozen Harp players started a bidding war for it.

murphy and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. My mind is being expanded. I really have no knowledge of this area. Are they just using guitar amps or do they have specific builders of harmonica amps?

13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    This is just a guess but I think Harmonica players like to use low powered tube amps.

murphy and TolerancEJ like this.
  14. Gazman be Australian, hopefully more in common with NZ.

Gazman likes this.
  15. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    They also like specific mics like the old green bullets. There are repros now but the originals are highly prized.

murphy and FunkHead like this.
  16. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    The transfer was from bank to bank which gives our brother member something he can press his bank on by identifying it as theft, don't add any particulars, just call it a theft which gets the bank talking to the receiving bank. And as I said earlier, if he has his part of the FB conversation he can contact them and have them track the person via the I.P. address.

17. I don't think the banks can do anything without Police involvement. I don't even think they can freeze funds just because Customer A at Bank A says Customer B at Bank B is a crook.

18. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    Can you go into your browser history and find the IP address? I don’t use FB but they should have some kind of fraud protection or fraud department.
    If your CC company is tied to the money transfer you may have fraud protection through them. My son got scammed on Ebay on a $700 mic and the seller just mailed a piece of paper to an address across the street so Ebay said the item had been delivered just to the wrong address. It took several emails and calls but he finally got reimbursed.
    Don’t give up! COVID has created a lot of free time for scammers to rip honest people off. Good luck!

Clark Dark, murphy and Gazman like this.
  19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth

20. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    So is the takeaway we should never trust harmonica players?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021