1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got Scammed, but how?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gazman, Jul 11, 2020.

1. I got scammed on Facebook, after posting a “Wanted to buy” ad for a specific 2 x12 cabinet.
    The person got in touch, they had one they wanted to sell. They sent photos as proof, and I deposited $400 into their bank account.
    Next day...they have blocked me and deleted the conversation.

Of course I should have insisted paypal....but how did they get photos, I can’t find anywhere on the internet?

Another member of the FB group had the same scam pulled, with photos of the exact guitar he was looking for. Again, he searched the net and couldn’t find the photos, so assumed the buyer was legit.

Beyond google, where do you find pictures of musical gear?

murphy likes this.
  2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Ouch. That's a cautionary tale if ever there was one. I never ask for anything, as a rule. Forever the opportunist, I find the goods and pounce, out of the blue. Maybe that's the safest way. Or buy new :)

Hard to tell what you're dealing with there. There must be many, many ways. True crime's not my strong suite. The dark web? They might have reams of tempting images archived somewhere in there.. Type in, paste in, your request and bingo. Phantom cab. The con manifests. … Rotten sods. Better luck next time.

Gazman likes this.
  3. lyonaudio

lyonaudio

Apr 16, 2019
    France
    Why?

grinx, BassPilot, oldrocker and 3 others like this.
  4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I am sorry this happened to you
    My first instinct is to trust anyone...especially another bass player.....and think I have only been burnt twice...and here on Talkbass

But not like this

Gazman likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Unless I knew the person, I would only send money through a method that offers protection, like PayPal or Square.

6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Dude...:banghead:

Downunderwonder and Gazman like this.
  7. My intent was to buy the cab, I asked for photos and they sent me about 6 pictures of the cab.

I realise I trusted them and paid the price, but I’m still wonder how they managed to find the specific photos....I don’t believe they just happened to have one sitting around, waiting to scam someone.

murphy likes this.
  8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    A harp player I know sent the money to a Facebook guy to buy a harmonica amp....never received it....and has been posting the guys name on FB to never buy from him

9. The other guy that got scammed is down $1100

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Immoral people can't play the bass?

bobba66 and murphy like this.
  11. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Can't you cancel the transfer? Talk to your bank account manager.

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I know right?....I still cannot believe it :sour:

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I recently got an offer through CL for double my asking price, plus (wait for it...) $20 for a bass I had listed. All I had to do was supply all my personal info including my bank account info so they could deposit the money in my account then make arrangements for the bass to be picked up. The extra $20? it was a tip for his "man" who would come by and get the bass because he was too busy to come in person.
    I don't know which is more sad, that scammers operate with such impunity these days or that there's enough marks to make it worth the trouble to run a scam.

Rocker949, LBS-bass, rzamites and 2 others like this.
  14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    The classic Nigerian Prince

I get 3 calls a day from the Government Tax evasion Agency....I press #1 and tell the person I am waiting outside for them....and various family observations.
    Good fun

TolerancEJ, Guild B301 and fhm555 like this.
  15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Give us his name, etc. Maybe we can find out more about this person.

Gazman likes this.
  16. Thanks, but the Facebook profile they were using has vanished, and I assume it was a fake name.

murphy likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Maybe hey sold the same cab twice, maybe they saw it in a store, maybe they are better at searching for pics.

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    when I got mangled and spend 18 months unable to walk on my own I spend the better part of a couple weeks in a back and forth with a guy trying to give me "just over 7 million" bucks. Over the course of our conversation I left my wife and was living in a tent with my new 17 year old girlfriend who was eagerly anticipating my newfound good fortune. Along with a blow by blow narrative about my new love interest, every email contained a request for an ever increasing sum of money sent directly to me so we could meet in Paris to discuss details of the transfer. It ended with me telling him I knew a notorious voodoo practitioner I was going to sic on him if he failed to send me the 15 billion he promised. A deal after all, is a deal. :D

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    :smug::smug::smug::laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::D:):thumbsup:

20. rzamites

rzamites Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Michigan
    Scambaiting is sooooo much fun. The epic ones are where you send the scammer boxes full of heavy junk and it's COD delivery ;)