1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotoh or badass bridgee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeezerB, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GeezerB

GeezerB

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi, i want to replace the old bridge on my Bc Rich NJ series eagle bass, wich one is the best fit for my bass, gotoh or badass?

2. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    lets see what is on there , is it a 5 screw Fender type ? If not it may not simply bolt on . My current fav is the KTS but I like the BA and Gotoh and also the Fender hi-mass BA type .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    "Period correct" for an early BC Rich would imply a Badass. Then again, I just put a Hipshot Kickass on a bass, and it's a better bridge - more precisely adjustable, and you have a choice of saddle materials.

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If the original and the replacements are all standard 5 hole mount, then they are all fairly good options.
    Gotoh (I assume you mean the 201) is a nice basic bridge. It's basically a heavier version of the classic Fender design. Very crisply made but won't look much different than a standard fender style as it has a similar footprint.

As for the Badass, it's a huge chunk of Zinc with a different style of plate and saddle. As it's currently out of production and prices have gone up, I'd save your money and buy an "Omega" clone for about half price. I like the Badass II for it's huge Chromey shininess, and I've got a couple, but it's by no means the best bridge out there.

If you like the badass style and want a bit more modern features, check out the Hipshot Kickass which has the same look with more adjustable saddles and not much higher in price than an Omega.

Both the 201 and Badass Style have a look that is fairly "Classic" and they work well. However, if you're looking for a "Best" bridge, honestly I'd look elsewhere. If the classic look isn't a priority, Hipshot and Babicz make great products that are better engineered with more adjustability

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    After I posted the above, I looked up your bass.
    Is it like this? 1984 B.C. Rich NJ Series Eagle Bass Guitar MIJ Nagoya Japan | eBay
    That bridge is wider than usual and possibly non-standard screw position. If replacing a bridge like that I'd want to make sure the replacement bridge was as wide as the original so that you cover over any difference in finish color (exposed paint often fades differently and there may be finish indentations also). Also, I'd measure the screw locations to -if possible- minimize the number of holes that need to be drilled.

The good news is that all companies publish the dimensions of their basses and screw locations and there are some bridges that are wider than others.

6. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I had a Class Axe era USA Warlock bass and put a Gotoh 201 on it when the stock Wilkinson would work itself loose while playing it. That or a BA2 would drop right on that model.

I also have an NJ Mock that has a BA2 installed but they had to drill some extra holes to make it work. Both are good choices, but I really like the Gotoh between the two of them (which is just my opinion, I think a lot of people love the BA bridges).