1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gotz endpin in Shen bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by IdealWay, Jan 23, 2017.

1. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Does anyone know if a Gotz endpin assembly will fit directly into a Shen (SB-180) bass, or would it need to be reamed? I want to upgrade mine but am hoping I can just swap it out. Thanks.

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I suspect not, but if you can measure the hole diameter with a caliper, or a couple of bits of thin card and a ruler, you will be able to compare with the gotz plug diameter. The taper should be the same, so if the numbers are the same you could be lucky. That said, its rare that one endpin will just slot in to a hole made for another model.

3. The shade-tree luthier's way of doing that is wrapping the replacement (larger?) collar in coarse sandpaper, popping it in as far as it wants to go, and twisting it until your hand falls off or it seats. Or you could just pay a well equipped luthier $100.

jsf729 likes this.
  4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Or, if the collar is too narrow, wrapping the replacement collar in coarse sandpaper, popping it in as far as it wants to go, giving it a few whacks with a mallet and stringing the mutha back up again. :bassist:

KUNGfuSHERIFF and robobass like this.