1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grace designs Felix - dialling in a good tone

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Basstimg, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi guys

I use a Martin penning 3/4 upright which is a nice carved instrument and I use an ehrlund with preamp.

I have just received a jule m700 and my grace design Felix in the last few days and Mike Arnopol is building me 2xMAS26 to hopefully complete an amazing set up.

Due to work schedule and children I am unable to experiment with the Felix at home ATM. I have a rehersal this week and was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to dial in a usable tone as a starting point so the whole evening isnt taken up trying to dial in a useable sound. Just a warning I'm pretty crap with tech and my plan is to really invest time and get to grips with my new set up but would be useful to have a start point. Like I said I will be using the ehrlund with its pre into the Felix and unsure what setting I will need for the input and whether I need notch or cut etc is there anything else I need to watch out for or will help dial in a good tone ?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks Tim

2. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    Dial it to get it closest to the unplugged sound.

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    For simplicity I would first see if you can loose the EAP preamp. Will it fire up with just the Felix? Does it sound the same? But one of the points of the Felix is to loose the other 9v boxes. Then try it flat. If you want a more rounded bass tone turn the mid eq UP just a little and then the next two which effect the mid eq to the left. This will effect the lower mids giving them a little boost. But close to flat should be really good.

Ric Vice likes this.
  4. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Thanks for the message flat back. I know Ric vice runs it without the ehrlund pre but he has had the lead modified so then it doesn't make that horrible noise when it touches anything. My worry would be that without that done the lead will interfere with things a lot and make it hard to use That's certainly a plan for the future so when i do what input setting do i need ? Don't I need notch filter or anything ?

Ric thought i could use the pre with no problem. So could you give me any advice about that as the lead is isolated well ATM and just so I can check the Felix is working ok and I want to keep it could you give me any advice with using it with the pre until I get the chance to sort the lead out and isolate it.

In the future I plan to get a mic etc and blend but at this stage just want to check the unit and begin getting a feel for it.

Thanks

Tim

5. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    I'd use a high pass at around 40, at least start from there, low pass around 8khz. then I'd boost 6K a bit and dip 400Hz a bit.
    Here's an article which i think is quite helpful, esp the input impedance bit. Hope this helps,
    btw any type source input will show some character of the felix and if it's working, any microphone should do, or line input.
    Grace Design FELiX Preamp/Blender

6. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Thanks that's a really helpful and give me a place to start I really appreciate. it I will check the article out.

blastbass likes this.
  7. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I am familiar with their mono preamp, this one, not so much. Another thing you could do is email grace and request them to email you some upright preset ideas for the felix, if possible.

8. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi blast bass thanks I have contacted the uk distributor for ehrlund and tried to get info at that end as I believe it's dependant on what impedance that needs to work well.

I could just ask ric I am sure he knows but I am always asking him questions and he had been such a great help I don't want to overdo it. Also may find some other useful stuff from from the general chat thing.

Thanks

Tim

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    blastbass likes this.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tim,
    It should work either way with or without the Ehrlund Pre. I simply don't use Ehrlund Pre at all with the Felix. I believe the input impedance of the Ehrlund Pre, is @2 meg ohms. You can contact Johnny B at Ehrlund if you're concerned. The middle impedance setting on the Felix works just fine.

Ric

blastbass likes this.
  10. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Thanks ric that's really handy info The amount of support you have given me I am really grateful for. I should have made it easier and given you all the money asked you to buy what you think and set up the sound lol anyway i do appreciate it thanks.

blastbass likes this.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tim,
    No problem at all. I have no aspirations to work as a intermediary. I can only make suggestions and even then folks have to carefully consider their options, before making this kind of financial commitment. Opinions after all are like ..... everybody has one.

Ric

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016