1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grace Felix settings with various pickups/mics

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Maple, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I thought this might be better in it's own thread since it's not specifically about the Yamahiko pickup. (started here...just popped for a Yamahiko)

The Felix is super flexible and has has lots of knobs so I'm curious to see how others are using it. Personally, I'm using the Yamahiko and Ischell pickups and after reading that others love the combo of the two pickups and the Felix, I'd like to see how they've set theirs up.

To start, I've created a PDF "setting notes" sheet for the felix that can be downloaded here

once printed out, you can mark it up and post.

Attached Files:

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    well without filling out the form (got two kid to get off to school) I can tell you I just played a loud quartet gig with this set up (felix into Focus amp and MAS46) and had everything flat with the HPF on just a little both channels and no phase reverse (the Y was bridged) . Just phenomenal sound (loud it wasnt totally acoustic) but the Ischell does the mic part great and the Y is articulate and clear and not annoying. I was blissing. Super effortless to play in a very dense rhythmically complicated and harmonically rich environment. I could step out when I wanted and blend in. Flat.

Maple likes this.
  3. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Using the Yamahiko and Ischell...
    I previously posted a setting page that had the ischell flat (using the built-in HPF). The Yamahiko had just a little sculpting to reduce the treble and piezo sound. It sounded nice compared to anything I had arrived at previously.

But at home, I tried the same settings through a set of headphones and found it really muddy and awful! So through headphones at home, I was able to do a more thoughtful blending of the pickups. My bass has a big resonance close toe the A so I had to notch that out in the Ischell to get some clarity.

Back at the workshop, that tuning was a bit bright through the cabinet, but wow - it was way better than anything I've heard yet with the combo. With the Demeter set to "Dark", the treble was reigned in and wow!

Felix YamaIschell2.

4. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Cool! The yamahiko on my bass doesn't sound great flat - it gets a recognizable nasal piezo sound. So I have to do something to it. And I discovered the ischell picks up a big resonance around A-Bb (wolf tone?) that I have to notch down to keep things articulate.

(dropped kids off earlier - first day of school for us! woohoo!)

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    just noticed you are in the bay area....maybe we could get together and hang sometime and play a little and see how our identical rigs sound thru different basses.....

6. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Certainly!

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I'm so envious. ;<)