1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphic EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gruskgo, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gruskgo

gruskgo

Jun 17, 2007
    just a quick question, does anyone know if you can get a rack mounted graphic eq with a footswitch bypass? im happy with my amps eq but i like to have a different tone for slap stuff and i figure it'd be easier to dial it in on a graphic and turn it on when i need it. i dont really want to get a footswith eq though, i like to go straight into my amp. any ideas??

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, why not use an EQ pedal? If you're going to want a footswitch, an EQ pedal is far more convenient. Most can run on batteries and save you both rack space and additional cable hassles. Unless you need more than 10 bands (which is the most I've seen in a pedal), you don't need a rackmount EQ. And do you really need more than 10 bands?

AFAIK, no rackmount graphic equalizers I've seen are footswitchable; in their normal use, there's no reason for them to be.

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I don't know anything about a rackmount that is just a graphic EQ, I've never shopped for anything like that. Some of my amps have had footswitchable EQ's though, although getting a new amp would be sort of a drastic measure. If you have to go with a foot pedal I would recommend the MXR 10 band first and the Boss Bass EQ second, they're both decent. You might be able to convert one of those into a rackmount unit if you can't find anything else, though I'd consider it a hassle.

4. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I think what the OP is trying to get at is that he wants the EQ in his amp's FX loop, and as such would prefer to use a rack EQ. This seems to make sense because a rack EQ would be more suited to the post pre-amp signal and it might be more convenient in the OP's setup to put a piece of rack gear in his amp's FX loop than a pedal.

That said, I can't think of any footswitchable rack EQs, or why you'd want the EQ in your loop.

I guess you might find a footswitchable rack mutiFX that has a an EQ patch.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, I thought about the effects loop idea... but most people who change their tone for slap, etc. run an EQ pedal in front of the amp - the change happens before it gets to the preamp. It seems to be the general preference around here.

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea... most of the ones I can think of, though, are also preamps. :meh:

6. You could use a single loop pedal to turn the rack EQ on and off, can be battery powered too.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I think that idea would entail lots of cable. Bass-amp-footswitch-rack-amp. You'd triple your cable.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Does your amp havea switchable effects loop? I've seen it on a few.

If so, just the EQ in the effects loop, and then use the amp foot switch to do so.

The other option is also running a pedal EQ in the effects loop. You'll just end up with 2 more cables than before.