1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Graphite neck maintenance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Mar 17, 2004.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So I just got my Flea 4 and am curious as to what I need to do to the graphite neck and composite fingerboard to keep them in perfect condition? Also what are suggestions as to what I should use on the Alder body? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andy

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    guess I heard wrong. Deleted

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Modulus warns against using oils and solvents on their all-graphite necks. No offense to Cheezewiz, but WD-40 is a solvent/lubricant-I personally would'nt recommend using it. My owner's manual ( Modulus Quantum-4 w/ all-composite neck) recommends using a slightly damp cloth on the neck. If the neck becomes really dirty, they recommend using a damp cloth & a mild soap. If you wipe your neck down often, a damp rag is all you'll need. For polishing their bodies, they recommend using a good quality auto wax twice a year. For the rest of the time a slighlty damp cloth works fine.

Congrats on your new bass!
    -A.P.

4. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    WInter Garden, FL
    Typically I just use a cloth and wipe it off. Joe Zon says to use Windex if you need to do more than dust it off. A bit of water won't hurt it either. I definitely would not use WD-40, for the reasons that Arthur mentions.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    i got the Windex recommendation from Joe Z. too.

works great.

i THINK Joe had said something about WD40 for the fretboard only.

i hesitate to go that far. Windex worked fine for both.

f

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    All I have ever used is a damp cloth on mine. Seems to work just fine for taking any build up off the fretboard that I get, which isn't much. I wipe down my neck and fretboard quite often, though.

7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    From the Status Graphite Website:

Q:
    The phenolic fingerboard on my bass looks grey and has lost it's original black colour :

A:
    The dry look on the fingerboard is where the laminated phenolic material is actually 'drying' out a little. It is often caused by being cleaned with a water or solvent based polish which can take the natural 'oils' out of the board.
    You can fix this very easily by cleaning the fingerboard with a very small amount of oil. Something as simple as WD40 is fine.
    Use a soft cotton cloth and wipe a VERY small amount of oil on the fingerboard and rub it in.... then clean it all off again leaving just a trace which has 'soaked' into the surface. This will bring back the dark colour of the board.