1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphite neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUL4073, May 5, 2015.

1. TUL4073

TUL4073

Nov 17, 2014
    I want to replace my old maple neck on american special jazz bass with the status graphite neck
    How would it sound like ? i ve never tried it before

2. musicmaan

musicmaan

May 24, 2013
    I cant say exactly what it would sound like, but the sound will change for sure. I fell in love with a MM Cutlas 1 when I was a wee lad, and now own a Stingray 4 with a Status neck... In my opinion, a Stingray with a graphite neck is the best sounding and feeling bass there is. I'd love to try one on a Jazz. I would recommend trying a graphite neck first if you can, but if you can't and get one and don't like it, you'll be able to sell it no problem.

Darryl Jenifer of Bad Brains plays a Jazz bass with a graphite neck. Plenty of live videos on YouTube for the sound.

MM

dutchwife likes this.
  3. Yeah the tone will definitely be different. I put a Status neck on my Stingray briefly and it gave the bass a sort of harsh sound that I didn't like. It had a little less low end and more high mids. It was also slightly less responsive to how lightly or heavily I played. This is an exaggeration but it kind of felt like the treble knob had become a high mid knob. It was a step away from my tonal goal for this bass so I switched back to the stock neck. However i can see the appeal because it was certainly a super clean, clear tone that a lot of people would like.

Nic. likes this.
  4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Notes will be clearer and a little more consistent from lower to higher registers. Seems to clean up the mids a bit. I've modded P and J basses with status necks. Don't have much experience with the music man basses. Never seemed to bond with them.

I have had nothing but great experiences with Status necks. Best replacement necks I've personally used. The neck shape is just right and the fretwork is impeccable. Rob is a pleasure to work with and they make a truly excellent product. I plan to order another neck soon for a fretted build.

dutchwife likes this.
  5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Noooo!
    It don't make a dad-gum bit o' difference what the bass is made out of.... all the sound is produced from the PICKUPS!!
    Donchoo know better?

(I read this on the inner-net, so it must be fact.)

dutchwife and Nic. like this.
  6. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    That was my other response.

7. TUL4073

TUL4073

Nov 17, 2014
    If the sound of the bass really comes from the pickups , why warwick ' s bodies and necks are made of so many kinds of woods.
    Ash,bubinga,alder , maple , rosewood , ebony. Does it only from the pickups? i don't think so.

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Meh, it's all in your fingers, right?

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I know. Just trying to be ironic.

Guys over fifty shouldn't do ironic, I guess.

dutchwife and topcat2069 like this.
  10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have two Jazz basses with Status necks - one fretted, one fretless. I got the fretless first and was so happy with it I immediately added the other one, ten years ago now. They're still my two main basses (I've since sold several of my others). You won't be surprised to hear that I love 'em! You can hear the fretted one in the clip linked in my sig. It comes over quite well, particularly from around the 10:09 mark until the end.

dutchwife and TUL4073 like this.
  11. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As a guy who did the Status neck change on a Stingray, as well as owns a wood necked stingray, I'll say this: There's plenty of room in the world for both basses!

The Status neck brought out a lot of new frequencies and sustain elements that weren't included with the old wood neck. There's a really nice, glassy clarity that comes through. But it retains all of the voice that the bass was designed to have in the first place.
    Since you are replacing a maple neck (and by that, I'm assuming it has a maple board as well), you'll be getting a lot of the same snap and clarity you've come to expect with the maple. But you'll add some "ping" to it, if that makes sense. Also, things kind of even out with the graphite. You lose the imperfections in tone that woods contain, but you'll get a very nice sounding result.

Some people live under the assumption that a graphite neck will make things sound sterile and cold. Those people are wrong. I can get some of the warmest, fluffiest sounds out of my graphite necked basses. I say go for it!

dutchwife and TUL4073 like this.
  12. I have one, used it for awhile on a parts bass. It's great, but it's different, in sound and feel. I ultimately decided the 16" radius wasn't for me.

13. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hope the OP doesn't mind me elbowing in here. I wonder if a graphite neck (any mfg) will help my Fender PJ. My issue? I play a ton of either fast runs, or fast accents. When I go to my D and G string, it all gets lost in the sauce, so much so, I'm wasting my time and energy and the audience I know for sure aint hearing any of my amazingly brilliant technique and ideas. :)

So, will a graphite neck make my D and G string notes sing out loud and proud??

14. In my experience the G string on Status replacement neck is less strong than with a good quality wood neck. Another reason I retired it.

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This is why I ruled out getting one. The fretboard is as flat as a pancake. It may work for some, but not for me. 'Tis a shame too…they look soooooooo cool! :crying:

Marketing? :greedy:

(Not to derail, but I'm still a bit of a "tonewood skeptic". After all, it's an "electric instrument", not acoustic. Sustain? That's another thing altogether. :whistle:)

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    [Kicks back and gets.....]

Popcorn.

:)

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nah, I'm not trying to start some dust-up, bare knuckle debate. Just an opinion, even if it's in the minority. That's why I designate myself a "skeptic"…I'm just not fully convinced, but am open to being proved wrong.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I realize this is a bit off topic but how does your Status neck-ed Stingray compare with a Cutlass? I mean, from the sound of it you kinda changed it into a Cutlass in spirit.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's interesting as my experience has been the opposite. I sold my (stock) Stingray because I never got to solve the "weak G" syndrome.

20. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Same here. All five Status necks I've had improved the clarity of all notes. I played a blues jam last week and one of the old school guitar players mentioned the clarity of notes when I'd play staccato. He can barely hear so it must have sounded extra good