Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite necks - Status vs Modulus vs Genesis

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman10096, Oct 7, 2005.

1. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I'm looking for a graphite neck for a J body. I'm a fingerstyle guy playing a wide variety of rock, blues, etc. I love the strong low fundamental tone and sturdiness of graphites.

Unfortunately, it's hard to come by many graphites to try out hereabouts. I've played the Modulus all-graphite necks (on Flea and Quantum) and found them true to the cliche': Kind of sterile in the mids. In fairness, the particular preamps (all barts) and pickups (barts and emg's) could be part of the problem. I've also played a Genesis 4 and liked it better, I suppose in part because the wood surrounding the graphite in the neck mellows and warms the sound. I've never played a Status of any kind, but have heard many good things.

I'd appreciate any insights from folks with hands-on experience with any of these necks. I'm particularly interested in how the Status would stack up between the Modulus all-graphite and Genesis. Also, any suggestions for getting a warmer mid sound out of all graphite necks (I've heard Aguilar OBP-3 and Dimarzio ultra-jazz pu's help).

Any thoughts welcome.
    Bill

2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Owner of a Modulus Q6 fitted with Bart Pups and NTMB pre-amp. I agree with the mids comment, just in a less negative sounding manner. I DID actually mix-up that knob for a gain because they are so clear on the bass. But if you enjoy the Genesis feel and sound, I'd say go for it. Though, I've only seen places where you can order Quantum P and J necks, usually for around $600-700 dollars in the States.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I purchased my Modulus for the mids it provides, go figure.

4. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Great sounding basses and you can definitely get a lot out of them, but I'd definitely say they're more suited for the higher frequencies. When I hear "mids," the low-mid growl comes to mind, so I just wouldn't want anyone becoming confused. :p

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Yeah, I love the low mids, its where I live.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I only have or have play the Status, so I can't give comparisons. But they are superbly made and have outstanding customer service. Worth serious consideration.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Exactly - I haven't played a bass with a graphite replacement neck other than Status, but I have fretted and fretless J's with Status necks and I rarely play my other basses now (which include an actual Status bass, S2 Classic; I prefer the fretted graphite neck Jazz for most things I do). As Dharma says, Status quality and service are second to none.

The fretted Jazz I referrred to has Nordstrand pups (NJ4SE) and these give plenty in the low mids, they growl like crazy. The other has EMGs, which I like on a fretless for the amazing clarity of tone they provide. I don't believe most people would describe either bass as sterile or lacking warmth, just the opposite in fact.

Haven't recorded the fretted yet (in the studio with it next Saturday, though - looking forward to it). To hear a rough recording of the fretless, go to the Pickups forum, open up the bass tone glossary sticky, and there is a soundclip of the bass posted in the glossary entry for "mwah". Tell you what, to make it easier for ya, here's a link to the clip. Let me know what y'all think! (There is some hum on the recorded clip, this is down to the crappy little unshielded lead I used to plug into my soundcard - in normal use the bass is very quiet, as you'd expect with EMG pickups.)

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have both a Gen 5 and Status Stealth and, believe me, they sound nothing alike. Both are very responsive up and down the fretboard with no dead spots. I would lean towards the Status as the product and service are primo.

Riis

9. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Hey Riis: I've heard Status beats all on service and production quality. How do the sounds of the Genesis and Status compare? You said they sound nothing alike.
    Bill

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I hear people using the term "sterile" to describe the sound of graphite; I honestly don't know what they mean by that. The Gen 5 has a fully rounded tone with good articulation. I attribute it to the balance of graphite and excellent tone woods. The Status is not quite as rounded but is more focused in the low midrange response.

Here's how I assess balance and response. Play an F# on your E string / 2nd fret. Now play the same F# on your B string / 7th fret. Same note, right? You'll probably hear differences in clarity, rate of decay, etc. This is where graphite really shines. Notes and harmonics really sing out no matter where you are on the fretboard.

Riis

11. Sterile = very articulated, that's how i see it. it's just too vague.

bottom line, graphite necks to rule them all. :hyper:

12. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    I don't like the sound of the Modulus necks, they're too "hollow sounding" (because they're hollow). Their necks were much better before they started putting truss rods in them. Zon makes the best sounding graphite necks, but I don't know if you can get one for a J bass.

13. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    You should let Silky Smoove give you the run down since you're in that area. I don't think "hollow sounding" really fits. The thing is FULL of sound, just a different kind. Oh, and they're filled with a resin of sorts, I believe.

Actually today I played a little jazz recital. My mom after hearing my bass said it was the best sounding one. She didn't like the organic tone of the others (from what she described). So it's even subjective to none musicians.