Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Oct 5, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey everyone. I'm currently a sophmore, and I'd really like to start preparing for the GRE as soon as possible. Right now, I'm looking at some GRE study material on sale at Amazon. Does anyone have any general tips for the exam; what to study; techniques; ect.? I'll be going to grad school to study psychology, so I'll be taking the psych version of the GRE.

I have a really good GPA, but I want to apply to grad school with all guns blazing, so I want a really high GRE score.
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It's too soon. You'll burn out. Concentrate on your classes, keep your math up, and don't worry about it until the end of your junior year. Then buy a book -- if that goes OK, quit worrying. If you struggle, buy some help at Sylvan. (me = 665/670/740; you'll do fine if you do well in your program)
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

The math was my biggest concern. I've never had an algebra class, even when I was in high school. I've taught myself algebra though. Currently, I'm taking a course called topics in mathematics. It deals with a lot of interesting stuff like intro to geometry, set theory, number theory, ect. I like it because it's not like a traditional math class. I'll probaly be taking an algebra class next semester (I would have taken it this semester, but it wasn't offered at my campus).
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ets is changing it up next year.

so... i'd wait until next year to start worrying about prep materials.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the heads up Brad. I'd like to take the exam before my senior year as I'll probaly be applying in the fall of my final year. I'm going to try and do an undergrad research project also. I just don't want to wind up having to sit around for a year doing nothing because I didn't apply to grad school in time. *LOL*