1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great amp for small stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Dec 10, 2018.

1. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Recently I have found myself sometimes needing to play some smaller stages, where I feel like I'm having to be right on top of my amp. Generally I play a 700 watt head with a couple of 1x15s, but that tends to blow everyone across the room away while sometimes I have trouble hearing since I'm having to be so close to my amp.

Long story short, I was thinking maybe I should look in to a kickback style amp or maybe a PJB Flightcase, with the upward firing speakers. I figured maybe I'd come on here and see what thoughts the TalkBass community had on this.

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Why not a 700 watt head with one 1x15?

3. bertbassplayer

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I've tried it, but it has been difficult trying to hear myself sometimes having to be so close to the amp. Then I end up so loud that everyone Thats why I was thinking maybe I needed a kickback styled amp that I can get something firing toward my head instead of at my ankles.

I've also thought about taking both cabs and only plugging the top one in, but sometimes that can be a bit cramped on smaller stages as sometimes.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would take one of the cabs to the show. Them have some bass put in your monitor. Don't be that bass player who says "I don't need me no monitor." Either in-ears or a wedge.... doesn't matter..... have a monitor. Put some bass in it when needed.

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    It may be not be the perfect solution for your case, but I was shocked at how stage filling (for myself and the drummer especially) one of Duke's Changeling 112T cabs was. I use it frequently in situations like you describe and it works brilliantly.

For the simple and inexpensive win, two fingers' solution above works quite effectively. Angling or raising the cab can also work in some instances, but then you 'll need to address the head sliding off issue.

DukeLeJeune, fourstr00, ajn and 2 others like this.
  6. bertbassplayer

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Honestly that isn't me. The problem is a lot of times I can't trust the monitor mix at all or we all have to share 1 mix. Poor sound checks and sometimes worse sound guys. Honestly, if I had a consistent type of gig where I could trust that, I actually wouldn't mind going 100% direct ala Geddy Lee.

okcrum likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do you own the PA? Is it all analog? If so, you can get analog mixers for PENNIES these days. A used, nice, analog mixer with the capability of multiple monitor mixes can be had for STUPID cheap.

Either go digital or upgrade your analog mixer. These days, money is NOT a reason for not having multiple monitor mixes.

Offer this guy $250 and walk away with more mixer than you'll ever use.
    Mackie 24x8x2 -Bus Mixer

Fumble Fingers likes this.
  8. bertbassplayer

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    No these are areas where we are going on to a small bar or club and they have their own stuff and a lot of these places don't want you bringing in your own stuff for one reason or another. Plus most of this stuff is where I am a fill in and not the main player so I don't really have any control over the band's gear anyway.

Personally I already own a Behringer X32 Rack.

I own an amp stand, I haven't really tried using it with bass. I might give it a go though, though the one I have is one of those OnStage Brand ones that seem to take up quite a bit of space on its own as well. Maybe instead of looking at a different amp, I should just look at grabbing like one of those Ultimate Stand fold up amp stands or something like that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    TrevorR, Al Kraft and two fingers like this.
  9. Your instinct to NOT put the bass in the monitors is the correct one. So is rejecting the concept of bringing your own monitor mixer.

Vinny Vincenzo and Low Class like this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I use a GK MB200 into a Peavey Headliner 1x12. Plenty of volume and no problem being heard. Y'all must be loud.

I do the sound for my R&B band. Just bought a Behringer P2 wired in ear monitor($39) because the drummer said he couldn't hear the vocals. Take a monitor feed from the mixer or powered monitor. Plug it in. Plug in some headphones. Adjust volume to your liking. Clips to your belt/guitar strap. Good to go.

11. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    The new Peavey combos look promising. They have angled drivers to accomplish what you want.

12. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Audiokinesis Hathor has an open format mid driver that makes it easy to hear the cab standing above it or off to the side. It gives better dispersion at any volume if you are interested in a cab based solution. It was a major selling point for me that works like a dream, even got my drummer to stop crying about it.

DukeLeJeune, Sanchan, LeonD and 3 others like this.
  13. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
  14. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Why? I get 90%+ of my stage volume from a floor wedge, works just dandy.

Al Kraft likes this.
  15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You just need the right kind of monitor and the right person mixing! Biggest outdoor show I ever played was with no amp...and the sound on stage and for the thousands in the audience was great! The sound crew had pro gear and knew how to use it.

jwindham likes this.
  16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Use one 15 cab angled up with a rubber wheel chaulk
    available for $5.

Vinny Vincenzo and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I get two feeds, a FOH without drums or bass and a soloed bass. Control volume, monitor EQ and blend with an iPad.

Al Kraft likes this.
  18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Get an amp stand and use your head with a 115. It'll get it closer to your ears and tilt it back a few degrees.

-Asdfgh- and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you have monitor support and no box, hit the pawn shops and find a floor wedge. If you don’t have monitor support, there are any number of small bass combo amps these days with tilt back cabs. Get one, set it in front of you and run an instrument level signal to it from your main amp or a simple splitter ahead of both amps; instant fully adjustable personal bass monitor. Yes it’s janky, but it works and at the end of the day that’s the important thing.