1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great bass shops in L.A.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by revlimitbounce, Aug 2, 2007.

1. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2007
    AZ
    Hi:

I'm going to L.A. on business in a week and I'd like to know any great bass shops (bass-only or general stores with great bass gear) that I should visit. I'm actually gong to be in the Riverside/San Bernardino area (California Speedway in Fontana, actually), but can fly from NYC into L.A. or John Wayne.

I remember the L.A. Bass Exchange opening up years ago from when I lived in L.A., but don't know if it's under the same ownership. The young guy who seemed to run it back when it first opened was super-nice and accommodating.

I'd even like to stop by Rob Allen's place to see where my MB-2 was born, but don;t know if he takes visitors....

Thanks!

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I was gonna recommend Bass Exchange. Justin's a great guy.

Also right up the street is the Guitar Center one of our own works at, and regardless of that that GC has the best selection of Musicman around, IMO. Amazing stuff.

And in Hollywood, if you like Laklands you gotta check out Mesa Boogie. Great stuff.

3. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
    AZ
    Great, thanks.

Anything down in O.C.? I'd like to fly into John Wayne, but if there's no bass factor in that area, I'll do the above.

I may even buy something! Looking for a player P-bass (beat up is fine) and if it's been modded with a J or other humbucker at the bridge, all the better. I'm going work on my slapping and popping and I want something simple. Just rehearsed "Forget Me Nots" recently. Freddie Washington nailed that one, and did it on a simple P-bass. Sometimes simple is better....

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

If you want a really killer P-bass there's plenty of great Highway 1's at the Sherman Oaks GC, and if you like Laklands there's great Bob Glaub and Duck Dunn p-basses at Mesa, generally

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    There's both a GC and a Sam Ash within a ten minute drive from the Speedway, both just north of the 10/15 interchange. Another GC about 20 minutes east in San Bernardino.

The place you should definitely check is Wild West Guitars in Riverside, about a half hour from the Speedway with no traffic. So, give yourself about forty-five minutes! Not a huge selection of basses, but they're all high quality with great set-ups. I believe they have a pair of AVRI 57 P's in stock. Plus, a bunch of higher end amps and cabs to play through, and a truly sick selection of high end and boutique guitar stuff.

6. .:chuck:.

.:chuck:.

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    why don't you fly from nyc to ontario airport? it's like fifteen minutes away from the speedway....
    anyway, the "best buy" stores in san bernardino & riverside have a decent selection of basses and the employees are not as "nosey" as the ones in GC

7. revlimitbounce

Jul 26, 2007
    AZ
    Thanks, all. I'll check out Mesa, GC Hollywood and then the shops mentioned in San Bern and Riverside.

I'd still love to find a well-loved American P, even with an added J, over something new, too.

Thanks again....

8. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    +1 on the Bass Exchange - you'll have to get into Sherman Oaks (San Fernando Valley), but if you get off the 101 at the Woodman exit and head south, they're a few blocks off the freeway at the corner of Woodman and Van Nuys. I'm not aware of a similar cluster of mid and high-end basses anywhere in So. Cal., and there is the Sherman Oaks Guitar Center just a few blocks west, which may have more inventory than the GC in Hollywood when it comes to basses. If you have time, it makes sense to come up from Orange County...or why not and fly in/out of Burbank, the airport closest to the Bass Exchange that is served by major airlines!

9. Bass Exchange is great. If you can swing by Santa Monica, Truetone on Santa Monica Blvd. has some killer vintage Fenders.

10. I just bought a Lakland DJ5 from the Mesa Shop a few moths ago. They have a limited selection of great basses-mostly Laklands.

11. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    i'll second wild west in riverside. not the biggest selection of basses, true, but what they do have is amazing. only the top notch stuff. i dig the hollywood gc and right across the street is the mesa store that has some great laklands

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

Ahhhh you bought that one???

Lucky mang

13. From my jaunts to A (going back in September on business), I've always thought that the Hollywood GC and Sam Ash were a bit lacking in bass gear selection wise!!

I still go though!!! Didn't know that Mesa Boogie had much in the way of basses - need to check that out on my next trip!

There's a Carvin shop up there too which does some nice stuff!

Sherman Oaks was a good run for me ,as I found a GC that to me had a much better selection of bass gear than the Hollywood store.....unfortuantely the Bass Exchange was closed the day I went up.....so I'll need to get back there!!

Santa Monica - where I usually stay is pretty good, as it's a short walk for me to Truetone...further along Sant Monica Blvd is West LA Music, which had a pretty nice selection the last time I was in:)

14. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    It's Woodman and Ventura Blvd.

15. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I don't know how much time you will have here in the LA area.
    There are a couple of places I could add in addition to the ones already mentioned. Since you will be in the Riverside area you might want to checkout Carey Nordstrand he allows visitors at his shop.
    Nordstrand Guitars
    33575 Yucaipa Boulevard, Suite 4
    Yucaipa, CA 92399
    http://nordstrandguitars.com/

Over in the Valley 5 miles from Bass Exchange on the same street there's
    Norm's Rare Guitars
    18969 Ventura Blvd
    Tarzana, CA 91356
    818-344-8300

Over in Van Nuys also about 5 miles from BXchange there is the greatest painter and luthier in Pat Wilkins who also makes some fine basses, there may be a couple at BXchange though
    http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/wrb_4.html