1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

great cheap basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    what are some cheap brands/basses that produce exelent basses for the money? stuff thats good to mod into an awsome bass with no worries.
    how are the SX and Jay Tursor basses?

2. I really like the 80's Japanese basses. Aria, Vantage, Electra, Westone, Greco, etc.

Also, any American made Peavey is usually a great bang for the buck.

3. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Fullerton. AMAZING active bass. Solid piece mahogany. Its great. I did a defret to. You guys want pics?

4. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    epiphone thunderbird was the best 300 bucks I ever spent

5. If you have a GC around your area, you can often times find a good MIM Fender jazz or precision among their stock. Parts for modding are easy to come by too. SX basses are a pretty good value as well.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    what about hollow body basses? not accoustics, i mean like ES335 style ones. they have always caught my eye. along with the telecaster basses, if anyone knows where the great cheapos are on them

oh and what about the best budgest 5ers?

7. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Was at the local GC ,played about 10 basses,The best?the dean four string for 139 bucks,go figure

8. good, cheap basses...my favourite subject...:)

Yamaha is great quality for the price...I've been playing a $150 yamaha RBX170 as my main bass for nearly 3 years with very little issues...
    Also, Squier makes some great product for the price...seriously much better than the squiers of even 5 years ago...

some of the Ashton gear here in Oz-t-rail-ya isn't all that bad, either...

Peavey makes some decent entry level gear, too (as well as great higher end stuff)...

it's amazing what you get get for a few sheckles these days...

9. I had a friend who had a Jay Turser P Bass clone... the thing was a mess

2 Tuning Pegs Fell off
    All the knobs and pots were loose and didn't work right
    It sounded like poo

All this and the thing barely left his house!
    IMO Stay Away!

-Mike

10. Squier have a nice Tele bass, although not the '51 design, they do look like they'd be fun to mod and/or relic

[​IMG]

11. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    The best inexpensive basses I've played are probably Peavys and Dean's. If your looking for the best bang for the buck, look at a G&L Tribute, however they are somewhat more expensive. The Tributes are far above everything in their price range.

12. ibanezshredder

ibanezshredder

Dec 19, 2007
    ibanez, try the new sr400qm and sr500qm...

also try some mim fenders

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Jay Turser JTB-401 started out awesome and has stayed that way. The only mods I've done are replacing the tuners (because it was missing one and I couldn't find a perfect match) and adding a vintage style bridge cover.

14. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The Ibanez GSR200 is pretty good.

15. For semi-hollowbody basses, the Ibanez Artcores are hard to beat. I have an AGB-140 (now discontinued...single cutaway, 34" scale, single MM pickup) that I paid $300 for at Gtr. Ctr. You can find used ones cheap. They also made a double cutaway.

16. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ikebe/legend2.html
    these Legend J basses feel and sound nice,a little heavy,but a respectable main bass with strong hardware,great finishes..and fun to modify
    ..about $100-120 in Japan,and by mail order. (shipping about doubles the price)

17. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Spector makes some excellent basses that you can pick up used for not much. You can EMG them to death and turn them into pretty much what you want or need.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The new line of Vintage squiers are great for the price and build.I also agree a good MIM is hard to beat and a used one is great. Modded and sometimes stock they can be as good as any MIA.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Squier Vintage Modified basses. They are very, very nice.