1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Online Instructors!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by herbygardener, Sep 15, 2019.

1. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Hi all,
    I just thought it was time that I gave a shout out to some folks who, in addition to the great contributors here on TB, have helped me immensely so far on my journey to becoming a bass player. No matter the subject, I find that if I don't quite 'get it' from one's lesson, the slightly different method and perspective of another will help.
    I feel very lucky to have these great teachers and their vast library of lessons at my fingertips whenever I feel the urge/need to dive into something deeper.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Keep up the great work!
    Cheers!

Scott Devine @ Online Bass Guitar Lessons | Scott's Bass Lessons
    Mark J Smith @ Talkingbass
    Luke McIntosh @ Blog - Become A Bassist
    Daric Bennett @ Learn To Play Bass Guitar
    Ariane Cap @ Ariane Cap

p.s. I'm in no way affiliated with any of the above.
    Just a thankful old dude who thinks their sites deserve some support!
    If you have a fave that I haven't mentioned, please post a link.
    Cheers! :bassist:

2. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    I like to play along with Rocksmith on YouTube.

Brocephus likes this.
  3. infragreen

infragreen

Jan 19, 2016
    Josh Fossgreen on youTube (also has a new channel called BassBuzz)

KoalaOnBass and Brocephus like this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    exidor and Brocephus like this.
  5. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve come to really like talkingbass. Even though mark is kinda manic and takes some getting used to watching :laugh:

I love Scott, his energy, but so many of his videos are just fluff :bag:

Excited to explore all the others mentioned!

Piggy back question: anyone have recommendations for jazz-specific walking bass online lessons?

Brocephus likes this.
  6. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    LOL, I nearly commented in another thread, using the same word (manic) to describe Mark. He's a bit over-amped, but (as you alluded to) his info is very solid. But, damn, the guy comes off like he'd fit right in on a 'Wham' or 'Boy George' cover band, LOL! ("Not that there's anything wrong with that", to steal a line ;).)

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  7. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I was very happy with the beginner course he has on the BassBuzz site.

Brocephus likes this.
  8. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    I've been going through a number of videos recently, and most have been helpful, but the guys I'm currently getting the most from, are Luke Mcintosh at Luke from Become A Bassist
    ...and Mark J Smith at TalkingBass - Online Bass Lessons
    And I also saved several backing tracks that I can wrap my head around and use for improvising bass lines, using techniques I largely got from the guys mentioned.
    I've also been digging up tutorials on classic tunes, that aren't too hard to learn quickly, and that (hopefully) help to get various string/note relationships cemented into my head (stuff like Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Stand By Me, Cocaine, Wonderful Tonight, Lagrange, Tush, Bob Marley's Stir It Up, various 12-bar rock/blues jams, etc.etc.)