1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great rig by accident!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phatbass1, May 6, 2010.

1. So, I've been using my 1981 Fender Bassman 135 tube amp and matching Bassman 2x15 cab and loving it. Man I couldn't wait till I finally was able to obtain both pieces...it took for ever searching Craigslist, ebay and pawn shops but I finally got it done. After a while I felt that my tone was all fat and slow with no good mid bass punch or high end. Also our practice space is small and the guys in my band said that my low end was just crushing them. So I thought that if I could get the same tone that I get from my Ampeg BA-115 that I practice with at home on a larger scale at band practice I would be happy again. I had heard that using multiple 10's was the way to go especially in small rooms. I thought about that for a while and wondered about using the balanced direct out of my BA-115 practice combo that I like so much and connecting it to an amp and a ampeg SVT-210HE cabinet. I had an old Peavey MegaBass head laying around and saw a SVT-210HE for $120.00 on Craigslist and decided to give it a try. What an improvement over the vintage Fender rig! I now had that Ampeg tone that I was looking for and so much punch I couldn't believe it. If there was one thing missing is was the really low bottom end that was so strong with the Fender stuff. Back to Craigslist again this time looking for a SVT115HE, but while looking for that I saw an older SVT1510HE. This has a 15 , a 10 and a horn and the guy was only asking $200.00. It matched my new SVT210HE exactly so I had to have it. I went home with it and added it to my BA-115 combo/Peavey MegaBass/SVT-210HE and it was magic! So I added a total of $320 to my existing gear and it is the best sounding bass rig I have heard...I'm just sayin.

2. Sounds nice! Got pics? :)

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    And that's why I play thru big 2X15's :D