1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Green friendly fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I think this has been discussed before if anybody remembers where that would be great. If not what are our ecologically friendly options?

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'd say maple is one. Depends what's ecologically friendly to you.
    Marko

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Yes you are correct. But it does have to be coated or finished. I forgot to mention I was looking for woods tough enough to be used without that. Thanks for pointing that out..Tom

4. orgmorg

orgmorg

Jan 25, 2008
    Dismal, Tennessee
    Well, if by "green" you mean indigenous to the US, There are a few that will hold up unfinished.

Osage orange ( maclura pomifers ) - nuclear yellow color which ages to a russet brown. somewhat porous grain.

Black locust ( Robinia pseudoacacia ) - less porous, light brown with slight olive cast, takes a nice polish.

Persimmon ( Diospyrus Virginiana ) - Mostly white with yellowish/silverish streaks, greyish mottling, occasional black inclusions. Relative of ebony.

Mesquite ( Prosopis sp. ) Very pretty, med. brown with pinkish tones, lots of color and wild grain.

There's probably a few others, but I havent messed with any much. Hickory would probably hold up, but it's rather porous.

But green doesn't have to mean non-imported. Do some research, I belive there is a lot of exotic wood that is sustainably harvested or plantation grown these days.

5. orgmorg

orgmorg

Jan 25, 2008
    Dismal, Tennessee
    I imagine my descriptions are probably sketcy, so I went out and took a pic of the ones I mentioned.
    Left to right: Osage orange (unaged), osage (aged a bit), Black locust, Persimmon, Mesquite, Hickory (heartwood)

woods.

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I'm using bulletwood... I guess the latin name is manilkara bidendata... but if its not you can look for the thread of my porject and look for the correct name.

7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I dont know what exactly you mean by "Green" but if it is what I think it is you could use reclaimed wood and LMii now offers FSC certified wood. From what I understand it is a environmentally responsible product. Hope that helps.

8. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    What about Dymondwood or Ebonol? Wood veneer (or some other fiberous material) with a binding agent, like epoxy or acrylic resin?

Is the use of the acrylic resin "non-green" enough to offset the "not cutting down endangered trees" idea?

Discuss ;)

9. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    The contrast of sapwood and heartwood in Hickory is insane, I'd love to see a fingerboard made from the stuff. I'm going to grab a few pieces from work so I can do some fingerboard work out of them.

10. What about the farm-grown hybrid Lyptus wood? Not local, but sustainable.

11. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    If you're talking about FSC-certified wood it's really hard to get information about that. I'm currently waiting for a respons from a couple of companies about this. Anyway, chechen and katalox are supposed to be similar to ebony if you're looking for something dense and for softer alternatives, maple is ok. Hope this helps.

12. OSB?

More than once I've toyed with the idea of making a whole instrument from OSB. Its pretty heavy though, being about 30% epoxy.

13. RLK

RLK

Apr 15, 2006
    Clinton Township, MI
    With enviro-friendliness being so fashionable, any reason there hasn't been more use of bamboo laminate?
    Its supposed to have all the properties of hard maple, and bamboo only takes 5 years to fully mature.

(AFAIK), Emmett Chapman seems to be the only builder using bamboo;
    http://www.stick.com/instruments/bamboo/

14. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Bamboo is a grass, but a laminated bamboo body or fretboard are darned good ideas.

15. RLK

RLK

Apr 15, 2006
    Clinton Township, MI
    Yep, I meant to mention Bamboo laminate as a Material, not a possible wood.
    To me seems it would be most ideal for necks.
    Its suposed to be very stable, and it would look a bit like the Kubicki Factor laminated necks.

16. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago