1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greeting/Ibanez Iceman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redmagictones, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Im new here, signed up yesterday. So hello everyone!!!
    Im a bit new to forums. I came across this site because im looking for a place I can talk bass 24/7 lol. I love to talk about music and bass, this forum seems like the perfect place for me. Im 22 and have been playing bass for 9 years. Owned and tried way to many basses and gear over the years. Some of my favorite bands to listen and play along too are The Police, Rush, Triumph, Steely Dan, and of course being from Va im a big Victor Wooten fan.

Enough with my life story lol

Last week I was at my local pawn shop checking out the basses and seeing if anything out of the ordinary came through. Well by the time I looked in the direction of the basses, from 15 feet away I locked eyes with a very classic/vintage looking Ibanez Iceman bass. It had a sunburst finish, rosewood fretboard, and block inlays. Definately one of the nicest basses I have seen in person. Had a nice thin neck as well.

Im guessing there discontinued now. Well I sat down and plugged it up into a small kustom 30w practice amp I believe and gave this thing a spin.

I mostly play slap and fingerstyle, and I couldnt believe how comfortable and the kind of slap tones that came from this bass. Im usually very skeptical on basses with radical body shapes with the exception of thunderbirds.

I was expecting this bass to be a metal machine but I was dead wrong, great tones for classic rock and slap. Im a small skinny guy and this bass was super easy on my back as well.

It was on sale for 200 even. So my question is. Anyone have any experience with this model of the Iceman? I played it for 30 minutes straight and it definately didnt play like a 200 dollar bass.

Are they very reliable? or junk in disguise? This was my first time ever getting to sit down and play an iceman. I never see people playing them much anymore, nor I have ever heard much hype on them. I have played some good Ibanez and I have played a few bad ones.

Im torn between that and an epiphone eb-3 going for the same price.

2. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Ibanez is as reliable as they come....I you liked it, you cannot go wrong at that price imho...

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I had the active version of that bass. Between the two, now I would go for the passive. Very nice basses, and they are a ''metal'' take on the Thunderbird. They definitely have some versatility to them though. $200 is fair, $150 is even more fair ;)
    Offer the shop that, see if they take it. Either way, good bass good price.

4. There have been several Icemans (icemen?) for sale locally. All have been about $300, which is juuuust a bit north of what i would want to pay.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021