1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Greetings from Rochester, New York!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Mike Anderson, Feb 4, 2020.

1. I'm very new to playing bass and am hear to hopefully pickup somethings up and learn a thing or two. I previously tried playing the guitar but due to some short stubby fingers I struggled and found the bass much easier to play. I’m self taught to date (not very good) but currently am doing some research to find the best place locally to take lessons and get the most bang for my buck.

I played the trombone from the 3rd grade to about the 7th grade but never took it serious and couldn't read music so got frustrated and basically used it as an excuse to get out of class. How dumb I was!

It's always been a bucket list item for me to be able to play and jam with people. Back in May (2019), I ruptured my Achilles tendon playing baseball and ended up having surgery to repair it. I was in a cast and a walking boot, unable to put weight on my leg for about two months. I went onto Facebook marketplace and bought a used Fender Squier jaguar bass and started to teach myself some. As a Christmas present to myself I bought an Ibanez AEB5E acoustic-electric bass and love the sound of it much better - makes it much easier to pick it up and tool around without all the chords and amps.

2. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome!
    I know there's a few TB members in upstate NY, might be able to help in recommending lessons.

godofthunder59 and Mike Anderson like this.
  3. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Welcome, there are many ways to get help. Just ask, or do a Google.

Again, welcome.

Mike Anderson likes this.
  4. Mike N and godofthunder59 like this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I'm self taught..... unfortunately. :(

@marmadaddy a, @jazzbass_5 and @dragon68 ..... three other Rochester area TB'ers that may know someone??

If nothing else we could put together one heck of a TB Bassamigos GTG. :D

alanloomis1980 and Oddly like this.
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I honestly can't think of anyone, YouTube has lots of great teachers.

Mike Anderson likes this.
  7. Mike Anderson and godofthunder59 like this.
  8. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Welcome! Just down the road in Syracuse.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Rochester, NY..... home of Kodak film, Genesee Beer, Zweigle's White Hots and the Garbage Plate.

10. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Paging @charlie monroe - I know he's just down the Thruway in Buffalo.

11. More than I realized! I’ve met a few from Syracuse and Seneca Falls as well. (Met online that is. Have yet to actually meet a TBer in person... :rolleyes:)

12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    19 years on TB and the only one I've met in person is @biguglyman

I've been to Ithaca a handful of times (taking our horse to Cornell) and the highlight of the trip each time has been driving by the Hipshot factory in Interlaken.

biguglyman and alanloomis1980 like this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Can’t help with instruction in Rochester But I did like the meet up suggestion. Keep me in the loop.

alanloomis1980 and Mike N like this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Google Don Mancuso. He's a guitarist but also plays bass. He's got a web site and has played with Black Sheep, Cheater, Lou Graham, DDrive, etc. If he doesn't do bass lessons he'll recommend someone who does. Just tell him "the biguglyman" sent you.

Don Mancuso. Rochester Music Legend.

alanloomis1980 and Mike N like this.
  15. Hey @biguglyman, thank yo for the reply! Another Rochestarian, Mike Mullane who I met in a different thread here on TalkBass.com who recommended Don Mancuso. I've reached out to him via his contact section on his website and via Facebook. Hopefully, he can help or at least point me in the right direction for lessons locally. Thanks again!

Oddly likes this.
  16. Awesome! I gave you a follow so I can make sure we can stay in touch!

17. Hey @godofthunder59! Yes, sir. I've watched quite a bit of YouTube videos and found some really good stuff. It's amazing what you can find on the internet these days! I'll definitely keep plugging away there and use it as a way to supplement my hopefully face-to-face lessons.

18. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hope you find someone, Mike.
    I'll be a bit of a hypocrite here and admit that while I always encourage folk to get at least a couple of lessons to make sure your technique is safe and sound, I've yet to do it myself!

At this stage it's probably too late for me, my bad habits are too ingrained.

19. Hey @Oddly, Even at my early stages of this journey I think we can agree that as long as you're making music and having that's all that matters right? I'll play devils advocate though and say it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks!

Oddly likes this.
  20. SunByrne

SunByrne Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Welcome to TB!

My wife's family is in Rochester, so while I don't live there, I know the area reasonably well. For a small city Rochester has a terrific store (House of Guitars), and I would be surprised if they couldn't point in in the direction of a teacher. And you can check out some basses while you're there...