Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greg Chaisson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FenderHotRod, Sep 1, 2004.

1. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Does anybody remember him at all. I figured at least some of the Rock/blues players may of heard of him.

I thought he had some of the coolest bass lines. And is a very under rated player.

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Changed the post some. Anybody?

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hell yea he's an underrated player, Always had great lines, but that's the breaks when you play with a very dominant guitarist like Jake E. Lee. But I always thought that he did a great job of standing out when there was room without sounding like he was yelling "Hey look at meeeee!!!!!!" I seem to remember reading an interview with him where he mentioned that after Badlands ended there was some talk of him joining Ozzy and that Ozz had always respected his playing, but it didn't come to be for some reason. Anyway, Badlands kicked a$$ and to this day I miss having Ray Gillen in the world. I don't know how much of Badlands you've heard, but if you've only heard their first album (Self Titled and best selling) you should at least get their second album, Voodoo Highway. That album kicks!!!! Their last album, Dusk, is good to, but it you can only get one, get Voodoo!!! And if you like Gillen's vocals you can find places on the web that are selling his Sun Red Sun project and you could try and track down the albums he did with Rondinelli.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Cool so sombody else does know about him.

I do have Voodoo Highway as well..Back when I was playing guitar i got to see them when they open up for Tesla.

My guitar teacher way back then told me about Jake E. Lee and let me borrow his video of Ozzy's the ultimate Ozzy.

Eventho I was a young guitarest back then I remember his Bass lines just jumping out at me.

What happen to Ray Gillen :bag: I hadn't keep up with any of them.

5. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Conflicting reports, most sites that broach the topic say he died of cancer, some say he died of AIDS. Any site that I would trust to have inside knowlege avoids the specifics of his death, which is IMO pretty classy. It's enough for me to know he's gone, I don't need to know the details. He was a FANTASTIC and under-appreciated vocalist with a style and voice all his own.

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :( I just found that out I was Doing some searching. Man that really saddens me he was a great singer. I found out that they have a third album out.

You can find it here.. http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/badlands.html

it's at the bottom of the page.

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, Dusk, It's a great album too, My point was just that out of the 3, Voodoo Highway is IMO the best, so if you only get one, get that one. They aren't that popular so it can be hard to find someplace that has them and you will probably have to buy online somewhere. It's been a long time since I've looked but the last time I saw any of the Sun Red Sun albums for sale they were like $30 each and I haven't been able to put aside that much for a single album lately. That site has a good review of the SRS albums also. Going to have to get those soon!

8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Dusk is the only one I need. I have both the first one and Voodoo Highway. Only problem is that they are both on tape.

I know we can't be the only ones that have heard of him on here.

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm sure there are others that know of the band, but maybe not anything beyone the radio hits (which suprisingly, I've heard more often that I would expect in some stores playing over the overhead system) and there probably aren't many people who got into them enough to know the band members names.

10. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    Greg Chaisson also had a great solo album called 'It's about Time" and played with a group called Red Sea. Both of these were Christian records and have some great bass and guitar playing on them!

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    He also wore some kick-ass cowboy hats!