1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Greg Osby's 'Channel Three' CD release

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hi all,

Went to see Greg Osby about a month or so ago. Had a good time, great concert. I bought his CD 'Channel Three' during the intermission and have been listening to it intermittently over the past month.

I enjoy listening to Osby's brand of jazz, in a way it reminds me of a lot of some work that Branford Marsalis has done with his trio (sax, bass, drums) in particular the 'Bloomington' CD, I've also heard some of Terence Blanchard's work which, to me, is reminiscent of the NY jazz scene in general.

But I was thinking last week that I have no idea where to begin analysing Osby's music, starting with the 'Channel Three' CD. It sounds kinda all over the place, in a lot of places I can't even hear a specific chord progression or a regular 'beat'.

This goes the same for another recent CD purchase - 'Song X' with Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman.

Incidently the personnel on Osby's Channel Three CD is:

Greg Osby - alto sax
    Matt Brewer - db
    Jeff 'Tain' Watts - dr

A little help please?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In general...
    (Since I haven't heard either the Osby or Marsalis discs you mentioned; I'm going to try a link where I can sample some bits)-

Anyway-
    One of the first things to pop into my head when I hear "Osby" is M-BASE.
    Do a search for on this 'genre'...I love that stuff!

Ornette? Harmolodics?
    ...which can be heard in M-BASE, too.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I sampled a little of Osby's Channel Three & Branford's Bloomington...very similar.
    What I hear are piano-less Trios(which I love; nobody playing "chords").
    No "chording instrument" being present may be the reason you're having trouble hearing a "chord progession"...as for "no regular beat"-
    Time can be bent, displaced, or played "Free"...this stuff ain't about backbeat! ;)

Also, what I heard seems to have a grounding in Post-Bop.
    One aspect of the Harmoldic component is the sensation that everyone is 'soloing', even in an 'accompanying' role(like bass & drums).

Is that vague enuff for you?

4. Hi JimK,

You can go to Greg Osby's website and hear some samples from the Channel Three CD <www.gregosby.com>.

Thanks for the M-Base lead, I found their website and it's Steve Coleman! Man I'm still recovering from his 'DEF Trance Beat (Modalities of Rhythm) CD. It's different from Osby's material though. I'll have to find his material from M-Base.

5. Oh wait.. I can download it from the M-Base website..

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was thinking of Osby's electric stuff...like Terri Lynn Carrington's Structure cd (TLC + Haslip + Adam Rogers & Osby).

I will be hitting that M-BASE site as soon as I get home...just got on DSL a couple weeks ago, gotta catch up!