Gretsch 2220 jet bass mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shababy32, Jun 2, 2018.

1. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    First, if I misspelled anything or didnt get the model number correct, forgive me. Its feels like its 159 degrees here in Mississippi and ive been out in all day, so I'm doin good to even spell my name!

Anyway, a friend, a very good friend, bought me a new Gretsch Jr. Jet bass or whatever its called. Wow! For 299, i think its a steal. For a gift, well u cant get much better. Actually I'm thinking about making this bass better. First, I was gonna put some Hipshot or Grover ultralight tuners on it. Does anybody know of a direct replacement? Second, new pots and maybe getting rid of the pickup selector switch and adding a blend or another volume. Ive read if u were gonna use CTS pots, then u gotta bore into the body? Is that true? Also which do I use? 500k? 250k? Ive not even opened it up. Tone cap recommendations? Then we get to the pickups. I like these but if there is another one that sounds better, please let me know.

Thanks!

RustfeatherBass likes this.
  2. Rickbee007

Rickbee007

Oct 6, 2013
    My thoughts. I have one of these. The only thing I did was put some flats on it. I wouldn’t change anything else. It plays and sounds great. They are what they are.

robertogogol likes this.
  3. I concur with Rickbee, I just got one of these last Sat and have been amazed at how good it plays and sounds. The dark red color isn't as bright a color as I like but IMO it's a step above black or boring sunburst. Fun bass to play!

But the flats are on order and I should have them tomorrow!

4. Rickbee007

Rickbee007

Oct 6, 2013
    I have La Bella Flats designed for Hofner Beatle and Club basses. I was amused how La Bella says they are designed for use on only The Hofner Beatle Basses.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  5. I put GHS precision flats on my G2220, sounds good. Mostly I was just looking for something lightweight with decent tone and this fit the bill.

I did put different volume/tone knobs on, and painted the pickguard white. Mine is the "wine" color but still very dark for my taste, needed some brightness. As you can see from my avatar I like bright colors on my bass. I'd get the bass repainted but that's expensive and not something I'm willing to try again.

Nice little bass.

6. shababy32

shababy32

May 2, 2015
    I actually put some Rotosound nylon tape wounds on mine and holy mother of God and all things pure and true! If u wont that nice Motown sound, u got it. Add some overdrive for a nice dirty vintage sound, bingo. Add some fuzz for just pure nastiness, jackpot!

7. I replaced the bridge and tuners with Gotohs, and the pickups with TV Jones (if you do this, make sure you get a "blade" style, as most TV Jones pickups are made for a narrower string spacing that this bass has, and so the pole pieces won't be under the strings).

Zakken likes this.