1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gretsch 5123B vs Broadkaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thelastdeadmous, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Thelastdeadmous

Thelastdeadmous

Nov 19, 2011
    Yesterday I bought a new Gretsch 5123B and I couldn't have been happier about it. I'm a recent convert from the six string side of the Gretsch world so I don't have a great ear for tone, playability, ect of basses yet, but it's been pretty much everything I'd hoped for.

However, today of all days I ran into a chance to pick up a used Broadkaster for $50 less than I paid for my new 5123B which, while I haven't seen it yet, seems to be in good condition.

Bearing in mind that I haven't seen or heard the Broadkaster yet, and even if I had I probably haven't yet developed the skill or ear for tone to hear was either of these basses are really capable yet, how seriously should I be considering the idea of returning the 5123B and picking up the Broadkaster instead? Do the two models have different advantages and disadvantages against the other that I should be taking into consideration?

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The Broadkaster is made in Japan, and costs more. I had a Broadkaster, and I've played the 5123B. They're both very nice. I would have bought the 5123B, but I got a killer deal on the Broadkaster. But... I ended up selling the Broadkaster because I didn't like the short scale (30.3" as opposed to the 32" scale on the 5123B).

So if I were you, I wouldn't return the 5123B unless you play the Broadkaster first and decide you like it better. You might find that you prefer the longer scale. Had I bought the 5123B first instead of the Broadkaster, I'd probably still have it. Very nice (and cool-looking!) bass for the price.

3. are they different though?

4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Broadkaster.JPG Yes, they're different; but only a little. The Broadkaster was made in Japan, but they're no longer made at all. The Electromatic (I think) is made in Korea (by Peerless?) Anyway, they're very well made. The 5123B's were limited editions for GC; select dealers only got one. They sold well enough that Gretsch made some more, but not many. The really nice thing about them is the TV Jones Thundertrons. They're what the Broadkaster's Filtertrons should sound like, This is my '94 Broadkaster; if you look closely, you'll see why I keep it, in spite of all it's problems (and it has quite a few). Trust me; keep the Electromatic.

5. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    Hi guys.I have a G5123 and I really like it. I use it with TI jazz flat strings and love it every time. I take it to some gigs and it always delivers. I have not tried other gretsch's or semihollow basses so I can't compare but
    I am guessing that these pickups (TV Jones) are really great. Construction is really good too. The only thing I am missing is more "heft" and sustain to the tone, I am looking at 34' (full scale) and the only one they have is the 5440 which is very similar to the 5123 BUT it comes with other pickups.
    If the 5440 comes with the same TV Jones I would have buy it in a heartbeat. Anybody knows about the pickups on the 5440 and can compare with the 5123? Thanks.