Gretsch Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by v1paul, Aug 4, 2009.

1. v1paul

v1paul

Apr 9, 2009
    I've seen a few Gretsch basses but I've never actually heard one except a video of some bloke playing it terribly. Are they any good? I really like the sounds of Gretsch guitars so I would expect their basses to be just as good. Also has anyone got any sound clips of one?

Thanks

2. v1paul

v1paul

Apr 9, 2009
    Anyone know anything about them?

3. My Ex had a Gretsch bass. Don't ask the model because I honestly don't remember. It was a pretty heavy bass but well balanced. The tone was awesome, very warm but had nice sparkle to it (that could of had to do with the strings tho too). The pots were a bit scratchy, and it really needed an input jack replacement. She bought it for $750, and I'd say that it was a pretty fair tag to it. That's just for that one particular bass tho, I can't say anything about the line as this is the only one I tried. I have a picture of it and will post it when I get home this evening.

EDIT: mis-spelling

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
  5. v1paul

v1paul

Apr 9, 2009
    Anyone else know anything about 'em?

6. v1paul

v1paul

Apr 9, 2009
    Someone must know something or are they that crap that nobody even plays on em?

7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I played a Gretsch bass -- once -- after borrowing it from friend. It was a double cutaway hollowbody, equivalent to the Country Gentleman, guitar. This was in the early '70s, and back then I was strictly a Fender player. The Gretsch body seemed too big, and it had a circular pad on the back that attached to the bass via grippers (snaps), which made it very uncomfortable to play (Although it was supposed to make it more comfortable). It didn't have the Fender punch, so I didn't use it more than once. If I had chance to reevaluate it today, I might be more open. I can't recall too many bassist who used Gretsch. Chas Chandler of the Animals used a double cutaway hollowbody, but I think it might have been Epiphone or Framus.

8. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player

Our local guitar center almost always has one, I should play it next time....

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have the now discontinued G6072 and it sounds HUGE!!! It is an attention getter in tone and appearance. It's not going anywhere. I love it! The Gretsch is on the left.

HollowbodyBasses011.jpg

10. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Main sale, if you dont mind me asking, how much did that run you?

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  12. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    That's the Squier verson of a Gretsch. Not the typical Gretsch bass.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
  14. kar120c

kar120c

Jun 17, 2009
    I currently play a Gretsch/Electromatic Juniot jet bass. It is their cheaper made in Korea (now china) line. I've played a few of these and have to say they're consistent soundwise. they sound great. i thought about changing the PU in it and emailed TV Jones asking for a recommendation (Thundertron drops right in they told me), but it sounds good as is, so why mess with it. and it is the short scale version.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The deal is that the "good ones" cost as much an NYC Sadowsky, and they have a limited appeal, most of them being retro-looking hollowbodies. Considering you can step into a very nice hollowbody Lakland for much less, or a more coveted Rob Allen or Rick Turner hollowbody for a bit less, or even a vintage Gibson or Fender hollowbody for half the price, there's not a lot of motivation for buyers to invest in a Gretsch.

16. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
  17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are you wanting to know just out of curiosity, or are you looking to figure out the "quality" based on the country of origin? If it's the former, I think it's either China or Korea. If it's the latter, this bass is a cheap amusement or a nice starter bass for a beginner, and nothing more.

18. ive played one similar to the one described here,but i didnt get to plug it in,it was nice acoustically

19. I had a G6072 and the tone was to die for! I regret selling it- at the time I was playing in a very loud rock band and the hollow body was a bad mix w/ an overdriven fridge... ungodly feedback. At reasonable volumes it was awesome. I miss it :(

20. kar120c

kar120c

Jun 17, 2009
    bass_snake: The new Junior Jets are made in China, the earlier ones were made in Korea. I can't speak for the chinese made ones, but all of the Korean ones i've played have been consistent in playability and sound...not to say they all are.

In regards to being a "starter bass"...yes they are not considered to be of "pro" quality in construction and are deemed to be worth much less than a new Gibson/Fender etc, of which i would agree, to an extent. Having said that (and I'm not trying to start anything) i have played many "pro" basses, not from boutique makers but from Fender & Gibson and other mass produced companies, that were absolute dogs to play and tone turds.
    Go out and play as many basses as you can and decide what you want out of a bass and find one that has those qualities regardless of what others may think of it.

IvanC likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021