1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grill or Grill-Cloth..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lburton2, Aug 16, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Long story short, i'm nearing completion on a fEARful 1515/66. I got the cab used (with no speakers) in all black with metal grill.. I have a festival I will need this thing for in a few weeks and after the show I plan on taking the speakers back out and making it look beautiful.

I want to mimic an Aguilar type look.. Probably All white Duratex with Chrome corner pieces.. Regardless of the color choice, I REALLY like the look of Grill Cloth, but hate the idea of me picking up a big 1515/66 to carry it up stairs and than put my knee through the grill cloth..

Do you guys have any suggestions?:bassist:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The question, as I see it, is do you want looks or do you want protection? A moving vehicle is not a great place for grille cloth. One little tear and it looks awful. I say protect your investment with a good metal grille.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The metal grill is the more practical but uglier solution, so I say go for grilcloth and just watch what you're doing and get a cover for it.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Have you considered pet screen? Its similar to grill cloth but stronger. Also, the cloth solution has to be done very well. I had a LDS 15/6 with grill cloth and silicone had to be added to reinforce the edges to stop it from sounding distorted. The silicone bled thru.

Also, there are lots of metal grill pattern choices. In fact BAD has aluminum that looks cool and is a good price... pre-cut. Thats the route I would go.

5. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Considering that the cab was made to accommodate a grill I think it'd be easiest to go that route.. I Just like the way grill cloth looks SO MUCH!! :(

Know anyone that makes awesome looking grills? :/

6. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The petscreen used for grill cloth is very tough stuff. I am using it on my 15/6/1. I still try to be careful with it.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , what he said ...

:cool:

8. Couldn't grille cloth be put OVER a metal/screen grille?

9. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I had some grills made for my PA cabs by the company that advertises on here: www.reliablehardware.com

They have a few different styles to choose from.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Metal grills don't need to be ugly.
    A liitle creativity and some paint can make them anything you want.
    I sprayed my (round) grills with metalic copper paint.

Grill cloth only looks good after it's stained by cigarette smoke and has 1 or 2 rips. ;)

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm going grill cloth on a 2x15 in progress. I'll do a slip cover for it and be sure to load it carefully. I gigged an SVT for about 10 years, no cover and no grill cloth tears. It's all in how you handle it...

12. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    wrap a metal grill with grill cloth and have an extra durable, great looking fearful

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, I was about to suggest grill cloth over grill too. The grill behind also prevents you from ripping the grill cloth.

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I keep hearing guys saying grill cloth will rattle against metal grills, never tried it myself.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The possibility for rattling is there, no doubt.

16. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    what if you just use a good spray adhesive on the outer side of the grill and stretch the cloth over it..

Than the only concern I see would be more restriction of airflow. Having both a cloth and grill in the way of my ears and speakers

17. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Cloth over a metal grill is not a good idea. At best the metal grill will have less than 50% open area. Same goes for grill cloth so you end up with less than 25% open area for the sound to get through. It restricts airflow and creates more pressure between the speaker and grill and that leads to rattles and buzzes.

mech

18. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    i assumed as much mech :/

19. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Its really hard to do a cloth grill on a 1515/66 because of the clearance of the lower woofer to the front lip. It is also difficult to stretch grill cloth over the length of that cab. I've done it once, but with a lot of fussing. Also, since the metal grill standoffs are already installed on the cab it will be even more difficult to mod.

Regarding open area, it really only has an effect on attenuating the HF content.

20. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah Don, like I said in an earlier post, it will obviously be much easier just to roll with a grill like it has now.