1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grounding Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by havik180, Apr 6, 2006.

1. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I get an annoying buzz from my GSR200 when not touching the strings , bridge , tuners etc. So I figure I have a grounding problem(?) I took the bridge off and the ground wire is just "smashed" between the bridge and body. I tried taking the bridge ground and moving it to a piece of metal screwed to the body but it didn't work.

I've read the shielding posts and am thinking about doing it.My question is what do I do with the ground wire(s) ? Does the wire have to go to the bridge ? Are all the wires soldered to the pots grounds ? Info ? Help !?

Rich

2. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    [​IMG]

Hers the wiring if someone can show or eplain what to ground .BTW the cavities are painted black , is that shielding paint ?

3. You reminded me, that I've been meaning to rewire my Peavey Patriot, in star ground style. So I just did it. Basically, I just ran every ground straight to the ground on the output jack. Bridge ground, tone cap, pick-up ground, anything that wiring diagrams say to solder to the pot housing, plus a wire to a screw, on the aluminium tape that I just shielded the cavity with; all got their own wire, straight to the output jack.

I didn't know GSR200s came in passive. I used to have a GSR200, and it was active.

4. That wire is supposed to be wedged between the bridge and the body. Its what grounds the bridge and strings.

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004

It sounds like it is shielding paint, however to be sure..using an ohmmeter, measure between it and say the bridge. If it is sheilding paint then it must be grounded. If not, therein lies your problem..either not grounding paint or not properly grounded.