Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grounding problems Buzzz monster P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbully43, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    So i swap out the Pups on my SX P bass to Duncan Performers and left the origanal SX factory pots etc in the bass they were 500k pots.I had no noise when i changed out only the pups. I decided to swap out the pots to 250k and changed out the jack to a switchcraft. I wired everything like the Duncan page and a thread here showed. I play at low volume at home so any noise was not heard. When i plugged in at higher volume at band practice i had terrible ground noise as soon as i touched the bridge or Cord end oh couse i was the ground and it stopped. I came home and tryed it at higher volume theu my GK..buzzz city.I pulled the bridge and looped the wire around a bridge screw and pugged in no dice lots of buzz. what do i check or do ...the wiring is tight and right i checked it several times...how do i check for ground with a multimeter? The bass was dead quiet when i first got it and my mad modding has created a buzzz monster help!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't see any link to the SD diagram you're talking about. Have you swapped cords to rule out the cord for sure? Are you sure you have the jack terminals wired correctly?

You can use a meter by putting it on R1XK for a continuity check. Cross the leads to see your maximum reading then touch pot to pot with one lead on one pot and one lead on another - it should be the same maximum reading. You can check your bridge ground by putting one meter lead to the bridge and one to your jack.

If it's not the cord, I'd speculate there's a 95% probability it's in the quality or manner of the wiring that was changed.

3. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm going through the same growing pains on my "first" wiring job for my MIM P Bass - I put the Fender Original 62 pups in there - love how it sounds, but I'm getting the buzz at higher volumes. Goes away when I touch the strings.

My theory for my situation (this may or may not apply to your situation) I think I've soldered the pots too many times, and done a crummy job of it. There's visible oxidation in ths solder - I know these can't be good connections.

SO

I ordered new 250K pots. They're only a few bucks a piece. ordered copper tape - going to properly sheild the cavity, solder the ground wire to the cavity, then put a shielding plate under the pickguard. This way I don't have to solder grounds to the pot bodies. Will solder the bridge ground to the ground terminal on the input jack.

Hopefully this will clear things up.

Any/all suggestions welcome at htis point.