Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growl

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by grinder, Oct 2, 2003.

1. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    How much does playing style have to do with growl?When I play hard, almost slap the strings with my fingers and a play little closer to the bridge, it seems like I get more growl to my sound.Recommend a song that has what you would consider a good growling tone.For me, it would be Heartbeaker by Zeppelin.Is that the type sound others would consider growly?
    Thanks, Grinder

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Generally playing closer to the bridge will give you more growl.

I play with a light touch and kind of near the bridge, and I get a great growl.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto. I roll full on with the bridge pickup as well.

4. I'll just echo what other people are saying because I completely agree:

close to the bridge = more growl

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I use overdrive...

oh wait, I mean, I play closer to the bridge.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ;)

[​IMG]

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Never have truer words been spoken WR.

Yeeks, that's a scary looking setup there! Who's is that?

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I forget, do a search on the effect forum for something like "show your effects" it's some famous bassist.:meh:

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah... Sometimes I tend to play REALLY hard in teh middle of the neck to the first pickup... It gives a little clanky bass sounds, sometimes it sounds cool. But closer gets you the good growl ;);).

10. More like ATTITUDE makes you play better!

[​IMG]

Treena

11. Doug Wimbish.

12. just go with whatever is comfy, then fiddle with whatever your doing until it sounds just right for that song, thats all ide be able to say. i cant stay where i set my hand, it depends on what im playing, if im playing something groovy or any rock i cannot be farther back on the strings, i need to be right at the bottom of the neck so i can dig in and feel the music, even if i start out with my hand near the bridge, itll move without me noticing.

13. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    want growl?

get a warwick

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Or get a REALLY nice amp/cab ;);).

15. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Try using your fingernails when you play near the bridge. It's almost an exact replica of a pick tone. Or you could play with a pick; for extreme growl play as close as you can to the bridge with an extra heavy pick. If you've got two or more pickups on your bass, solo the bridge.