Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Growly combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Does anyone have a recomendation for a nice growly combo.
    ?

2. What kind of bass do you play??

I like the Gallien-Krueger 400RB 2x10 combo. Its had good growl with my old P-Bass and an assortment of StingRays, StingRay 5s, and Sterlings.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Sigh...

ctrl+c>ctrl+v: "How much money do you want to spend, how loud does the rig need to be, etc."

4. money, not an option. size doens't matter.. just strictly based on tone.

this is just for me at home.

5. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I personally play through a vintage Kustom head and a Hudsman cab. Once I get the volume past the 12 o'clock position it has a great rumble. Might be to loud for home applications but you could get a similar setup for cheap.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well I'm hardly and expert on growly, since I hate growly, but people tend to praise Ampegs highly for their growly tone. An SVT and 810 is probably overkill for you, but it wouls sure growl nicely. You did say its for playing at home, so that behemoth of a cab would be more like a peice of furniture than an item of musical gear.

7. doens't matter how much it cost.

8. I was playing through an Ampeg Portabass 2x10 combo outdoors a couple of weeks ago- had it cranked louder than ever before, & I was very impressed w/the tubey-ness(also the volume). I usually go through an SVT-3pro, so I have a bit of experience w/tubes. Mind you, the quieter tones are not so 'growly', IMO, although I never really tried to get that tone at lower volumes. Just one to check out if you have the chance.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Fender Rumble 100 (my school has them) makes my bass growl alot.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Nemesis. Do a search for threads and you'll see it mentioned time and again. Tube growl.

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Mesa boogie walkabout scout.

12. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Second the Scout!

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The nemesis combos are solid state, are they not?

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Most growly combo? It has to be the corned beef special at Jack's Diner. A big slab of corned beef, a half a head of steamed cabbage covered with melted swiss cheese, garlic toast, a pile of deep fried onion rings, and chocolate pie. Top it off with a couple of beers, can you say "growly combo"? Break out the Pepto-Bismol. :meh:

15. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I would get the walkabout but its not loud enough for my needs, but it sounds great. And the build quality is amazing, if they were cheaper I would get one for home use, but 1200 dollars is way to much for a practice amp for me.

16. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Yorkville XS400T.
    Great tube overdrive available at any volume.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well if the scout is good sounding but too quiet how about an MPulse600? Doesn't the scout use the same preamp section as the mpulse?

18. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I know what im getting already, SVT-CL and SVT-810, no worries about being loud enough. And GC only has 2 mesa 410's and a 12" walkabout as there mesa bass gear. But I still say mesa boogie walkabout for you.

19. what about the Eden Nemesis Silver Series Combo's? Anyone with any experience? I know Eden is renowned for a growly midrange.

I'm also supprised I didn't hear a bunch of you fellow TB-ers' spitting Gallien Krueger out all over this tread.

20. Theres never too loud for a home situation :p