Guess who's show I just came back from...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ... Marcus Miller.

I arrived at the Birchmere at approximatley 7, I get there and the place is sold out. That's about 100-200 people coming to see M squared. About half an hour later, the band walks out on stage. People applaud, Poogie starts lightly tapping the crash symbols. Then, Marcus comes out on stage. People give a thundurous applause.

What then insued was the best song of the night. They did an incredible Run for Cover. Complete with Marcus doing the vocals, and of course, the bass. It was truly scrumtrulescent.

I know they did Red Baron, Ethiopia, and some other song, which Marcus did not write but I can't remember the name of it.

Midway through the solo section of Panther, I had to take a leak, which was not a problem since you could here the concert from Kenya it was so loud (not that that's where I took a leak). But anywho, I came back in the middle of Marcus's bass claranet solo. I knew before the concert that Marcus played bass clarinet, just not so damn well. He plays bass clarinet as well as his trumpet and sax players play trumpet and sax. He then played Amazing Grace on his bass clarinet. Then he did an original where he played 4 fretted bass, 5 fretless bass, bass clarinet, and soprano sax. (No, not all at the same time. I'm sure Marcus could do it if he wanted to though).

Then, Marcus and the band did a cover of a Deep Purple song (or so my father tells me). It completely kicked ***. It's going to be on their next studio album. They then did another cover, which was cool. Finally, they finished the show with a cover of the famous Beatles' Come Together, except Marcus wasn't really sounding like Paul McCartney, if you know what I mean. :smug: .

Overall, the show was off the hook. It was incredible.