Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guidance needed!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by spots, Jun 20, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Ok so my school rental bass has had te funkiest sound for the last few days. Very thin, no bottom, sounded like a crapatino even though it is fully carved. so i was tuning it up as all the strings had flattened a full half step down. And boom the tailpiece wire snaps, the adjustable bridge, goes into 3 pieces (the legs fell off). The soundpost is still up though. I have no idea what to do... Am I at fault in this situation? I was tuning the bass up to its regular pitches, no dropping etc. Should my school take the bill? I need this bass to practice for jazz band next year. Could humidity have been the cause? I live in a small apartment and the only room i can store the DB in is the living room which has AC. I need some advice.
    P.S. I've read the newbie links alot and also many threads concerning humidity etc.

2. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    "so i was tuning it up as all the strings had flattened a full half step down. And boom the tailpiece wire snaps"

Sounds to me like the tailpiece wire was just giving out. This happens. I would think the school should cover the bill as it's not something you did out of negligence or abuse.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nor will the repair likely be expensive.