Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guild B-50 Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cadre bassman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I ran across a Guild B-50 Acoustic Bass at a local pawn shop. It would be great if I could get consul from this forum on what your thoughts are on the Guild B-50 Acoustic Bass as well as its range in value? Just to clarify the Bass is mid 1980's and it is does not have an electric pickup. Would you recommend adding an electric pickup or keeping it stock? She's in mint condition.

thanks

2. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Should I post this question in another forum that focuses on accoustic basses?
    thanks

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I had a B30E, the a/e successor to the B50. I think, from what I have read, that the two basses are nearly identical.
    Liked it a lot, just didn't play it. Good rich tone,as much volume as you could expect;(short scale, as I'm sure you are aware).
    The B30s go generally in the 800- 1000 range - on the high end,a NOS B30E just sold on ebay for 1150.

I can't remeber specific prices on B50s - they don't come up that often, but I don't remeber them being any cheaper than B30s.

4. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the pricing info. I'm hoping to get it for close to $1000 with OHSC.

5. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Based upon the serial number, this bass was made in 1978. When does it become a vintage instrument? How will that impact its value?

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I don't think these have any "vintage" aura, no matter what the year. They are simply "used".

Guild Starfires and M85s maybe, but not the ABGs.

YMMV.

7. Too true. Older Guild basses are sorely underpriced, not that I'm complaining, and the big-bodied ABGs are just about as good as ABGs get.
    There are a few B-30s and B-50s on CL and eBay priced about 25% lower than the pawnshop bass, with case, so I'd wave $700 cash under the pawnbroker's nose and walk if he balks, but you must absolutely play it first.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Guilds are nicely made gits. I have played a B4, which is not really comparable, being a 30" scale cutaway ABG, but, I tell ya what, I loved it. I looked for one for a long time (they were made for a fairly short period, apparently) and finally bought an Ibanez AG305LG 32" scale 5-string...which is a very nice bass on its own...but I wisht I had the Guild!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those things are HUGE.

10. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    see pic

Attached Files: