Guitar Amps

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Thought i'd stick this in here, as i couldnt really put it in a misc bit for bass's

I have a small peavey guitar amp, but, i really dont like the sound of it, anyone have any suggestions of what is good and pretty cheap?

Im thinking about all tube, wont need anymore than 30-50 watts, 2x12, preferably a combo, but if it aint too expensive suggest a head and cab setup.

I really like the Peavey 5150 combo, i had a chance at getting one unbelievably cheap, but i missed it, also like the sound of marshall JCM800 and 900's, aswell as the JMP Mater volume heads, but, they are all a bit too pricey !

Any suggestions guys?
  2. Stephen just picked up a Fender Hot Rod Deluexe on ebay for around £370 shipped. 40W monster. All valve too.

You could also chekc out some of the Traces on ebay - the super tramps are all valve I believe. they've had good reviews and are a bit more powerful... :)
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check out the Peavey Classic 30 and the Classic 50. Both are great amps and won't break the bank.

I play in two bands, and one guitarist plays a 30 and the other a 50...
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Was just going to say that, they're nice amps.
  5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup good solid build, nice tube tone with EL34's it's like a brit take on a fender design. They come in both black tolex and blonde tweed too. I prefer the look without the corny pointy Peavey logo though...
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually if you like the "Marshall tone" I've heard the 5150 is pretty cool, although I've never played thru one. The Classic 50 and Classic 30 are also excellent. One other amp to consider if you can find it used (tough) is the Reverend Hellhound, these little babies will run with Matchless and
    VHT, they are very dynamic tube combos, but are available single channel only. I know a couple of hot local players that run two, one for clean and one for lead, they sound that good ! Maybe the best clean sound I've ever heard in a new (not vintage) guitar amp.
  7. What he said.
    The Classic 30 is a 1x12, but you can get a 1x12 extention. A friend and great guitarist used the Classic 30 with extention cab for years and loved it. He could play in some pretty loud situations, but of course it is not a 5150. The Classic 50 comes as a 212 and a 410. I prefer the 212 and again it is a great reasonably priced amp. I also like the Reverend Hellhound. They were really popular a few years ago, but Reverend discontinued them. They are a lot of amp for the money.

I play an Ashdown Peacemaker 40 112 combo with a 212 extention cab. The amp is all tube, light, loud, with lots of tonal control and can be set for 4 ohms or 8 ohms. The speaker is a Celestion V30 and my extention cab has Celestion G12T75's. The amp is in the same price range as the Classic 50s and I bought the extention cab for $75 through a newspaper ad.

Let me tell you, 40 watts of tube joy through 3 12s is a lot of sound. Still not a 5150, but it really produces.
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have a Marshall Valvestate 40 watt. It's the old version w/ a 12" Celestion speaker in it and it's great, but the new one's are 50 watts w/ a 10 non-Celestion speaker in them and I've heard from good sources that the Crates are as good as the new Marshalls.I hate to say that, I'm big on Marshall, I own a stack too.
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to have an old Peavey Classic 50 that I picked up for $150. It's a great amp, but it didn't seem to do the grindy, saturated, Marshall thing well.

I like the Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo. Lightweight, loud, and versatile tone shaping capabilities. It also comes with the sansamp technology, so you use the XLR out to connect to the board.

I liked that cab so much, I bought a Trademark 10 combo to use for recording. I also use it at church when I play guitar. It's the neatest thing to bring a little 10W amp w/ 8" speaker, plug it into the board, and then use it to play in a large cathedral w/ hundreds of folks. How non-rock star can you get?
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Classic 30 does some nice bluesy stuff, very good, rather inexpensive.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Tell me about it...My all time favorite amp is my '65 Fender Vibrochamp...the best sounding amp that maxes out at 6watts. I also have a 73/74 Silverface Twin Reverb that's been blackfaced...and it's break-glass loud and fun for times when you need 100+ watts of earbleed, but the VibroChamp has tone to make you cry...especially with a nice tele.
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

It's amazing what a low watt class A amplifier can do.
    Wattage does not equate to tone.
  13. Do yourself a favor and give a Gibson Goldtone a listen. One of the nicest amps I've ever heard.
  14. Wow, never expected so many replys so quickly!

Hagie, the fender delux has never really appealed to me, and is a bit on the expensive side, ive looked at trace stuff before, but, you know, its trace ;)

Burning Skies, ive looked at the peavey's, ive never seen one going as cheap as i'd like, altho, on saying that, i seldom see one second hand

I would try out the Tech21 stuff, i love my BDDI, but again, its not something i'd have a chance to try out first over here, never seen a Gibson Goldtone before, but will keep an eye out for one of them, see if i can give it a try

I think i might keep my eyes open for another 5150 popping up cheap, but that was a local guy selling it, not on ebay, and if a classic 30 or class 50 2x12 show up at the right price i think i'll go for one of them :)
  15. As has been mentioned, the Peavey Classic 30 best bang for the buck tube amp around.

But you need something like this...

16. Something like that would be ace, but, i dont have quite enough money for that, or enough room! :(
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    A friend of mine has a Marshall combo he's selling after buying a vintage silverface Fender Twin that's more suited to his style. (The Marshall is best suited to rock)

It's a TSL 2000 series or something like that.

What's your budget?
  18. I was hoping to keep it about £200-£300 tops, and the TSL will go for more than that im sure, not the biggest fan of them but they do sound nice, plus the TSL have millions of dials! IIRC
  19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Yep, I think he was after a bit more than that. I'll give him a call and see...
  20. Cheers :)

Im really kicking myself now, i have no idea why i hesitated at getting that 5150, it was mint condition practically and the guy only wanted £200 for it, they easily go for more than double that second hand :(