Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kearney, Oct 13, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    if you hooked a bass up to a guitar effects pedal, will it break it? my guitar playin friend said thats how he broke his wah pedal

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    No.

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    u sure?

4. yes, he is sure, it wil not break it.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Indubitibly

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    thirded

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Do you doubt his veracity??

8. i doubt his friend...

9. i use guitar fx all the time, i use a diditech metal master distortion pedal and an arion chorus pedal, makes no difference to me exept when i play on the e.

10. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The only difference between 'bass' and 'guitar' pedals is the frequencies that they are designed to optimally effect. Sending a bass signal through a 'guitar' pedal will do absolutely nothing to harm the circuitry.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bass will shred guitar speakers when cranked and bass boosted, that's about it. Once guitar players discover this they start to attribute magical powers to the bass that allow it to do anything, from breaking wah pedals, to affecting the weather.............. :p

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What are bass effects :p All my effects are guitar effects, except the bass wah. I find that a modified guitar effect is the best cure next to cowbell.

13. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I could use a little more cowbell. :ninja:

14. check out this pretty little ditty
    [​IMG]
    The Big Bottom : Here's the pedal that all you bass players have been waiting for. Designed in conjunction with Magic Dirt, this is a frequency splitter so bass players can use any guitar effects they want without loss of clarity in the bass response. Essentially what this gives you is the ability to add a distortion, phaser or whatever your favorite pedal is...and not have your signal fart out anymore! It takes the clean, driving bottom end of the signal and sends that directly to the amp, and at the same time takes the high end frequencies and runs them through an effects loop, then mixes that back in with the clean signal. It has an in/out and send/return path to mix the guitar pedals in with your bass signal. Runs on 9V battery or use the external power supply. If your a bass player and you use effects pedals, you NEED this pedal.

http://www.tymguitars.com.au

15. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I use a Korg Toneworks AX1 from my guitar playing days constantly, its cheap and it can make some cool sounds especially when looking for distortion unfortunaly you get what you pay for and it has a slight hum.

16. thats BULL if he says a bass broke his wah pedal. Trust me, I've played a bass through a Morley Bad Horsie and a ProCo Rat (vintage) at the same time, all the equipment was fine.

17. Tell that to Doug Wimbish!