Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar essentials?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 15, 2006.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    OK those of you with guitar experience help me out...

Due to the fact that my churhc has 2 bass players and no steady guitar players, I have volunteered to play guitar on the weeks I'm not playing bass. I'm played a little acoustic, but I'm hoping to branch into electric, to add more colors to the band on the weeks I'm not playing bass, and the semi-regular guitarist can be there.

Let say I have a decent eletric guitar, and I want to get some effects for color. I'd rather do direct and not use an on stage amp, so could I use some kind of multi effects unit to get the colors I want? which ones are both good and affordable?

If I went with individual effects, which ones are the most used or important?

2. Effects wise...the "effects" forums might yield the best results, other than that...sorry, I'm not an effects man.

3. Well I am a member of my churchs "praise team" and I know a bit about guitar. Well first off I would recommend you use an amp for a moniter. Then just use a direct box to go to the house. That is what we do and after traveling around to other churches and playing this seems to work the best.

For effects I would recommend a flange and a distortion pedal definetly. Well the distortion not so much depending on the style of music it is. (me and the full time guitarist have somehow working in some rocking tunes into our Repertoire) Well for multi-effects I can't say much without knowing what you guys play. I think they are a good value and allow you alot of different effects with the least space/cash. The best I have encountered is the Line 6 podxt live. (you could also get in the non-live configuration for less money)

Hope this helps.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The music we mostly play is the style of Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Pual Baloche, breakaway ministries, and the passion collection.

Thanks for the tips, any more now that you know what music we play?

5. I'm not up on christian music to much but I have heard of Chris Tomlin. I saw him live once at some church event I went to. Good singer. Well from just that I have an idea of the style you guys have. I guess you would need much (if any) distortion. I would still go for the PodXt (live or not) because you have pretty much anything imaginable in their. If you think thats too much for your needs, go for individual pedals. Thats a good thing about individual pedals. They are very flexible and if you only need a little bit of effects they are a much better solution. If I were you I would go on like Musicians friend and snoop around. Look at the multi effect and look for flange, chorus and maybe some reverb and maybe some delays. From what you said earlier about how you just "want to get some effects for color" I would go for a flange if you only get one. Very versitle and a good effect for lighter, contemporary music. A chorus is nice to have also. You may think more than that is unnecessary. I don't know I am not you. Definetly do a good bit of research before you make any investment though. Thats the best advice I can give. Don't just go on what I say and look around for the best prices. have fun with your guitar and effects.

Wow this is long!

6. It depends on the music you're looking to play. If you're looking for a "clean" guitar sound, reverb/delay and chorus are nice and unobtrusive when used judiciously. A controllable overdrive is always good. The problem is finding an overdrive that doesn't compress your tone all to heck. The Barber Direct Drive is the best I've found, especially for the price.

I would HIGHLY suggest using an amp on stage as your monitor, and I'd mic it rather than DI it. A 1x12 combo will do a world of wonders.

I play a 50w Marshall through a 4x12. I really don't like reverb, I only use delay when I have to, I use the chorus only to add "shimmer." Here's my meager pedal arsenal.

[​IMG]