Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar-looking basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a homemade DVD of the Little Steven-sponsored Garage Fest that was held in NYC last summer. I am amused by the fact that so i havent once ID'd the bass player or his instrument right off the bat (havent watched the whole thing yet).
    What i mean is they all play basses that look like guitars, and a few of the players use picks. I see hollow body double cutaways, EBOs and other non-obvious four-stringers.
    Of course there are no closeups but it is cool the bands keep this vintage vibe. So far ive seen the Woggles, the Electric Prunes (!), Creation (wow), Richard and the Young Lions and Iggy and the Stooges. Im watching the Stooges and i'm thinking the guy with the Reverend bass is pretty cool and the one with SG is playing some wild leads, but it's an EBO and the other guy is playing guitar.
    It the good old days, the bass player did not carry around a huge boat oar, he looked like one of the guys.

Attached Files:

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    **frustrated guitarrists**

3. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    The first one looked like a vintage danelectro or silvertone, but im not real sure at all. The second one is a univox teardrop or something of the likes.

4. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I got the the pics from
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v389/mindlessphotos/

I only posted the thumbnails to save space but still looking at the full-size ones, i dont see the names on these two. There's a lot of cool shots there. And there are some some full size basses:

Attached Files:

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Here's Creation's bassist with an Epi:

Attached Files:

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It kind of seems like 'punk rock' hit someone pretty hard. It's alright though, the Creation were a killer mod band.

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Great pics of the GREAT Bo Diddley, he looks alittle frail though?
    Those are some "scary" pics of David Johansen.
    Also great pic of Mike Watt behind IGGY.
    Ain't nothing "Punk" about most of those performers. Thats pure unchained Rock N Roll, the way God intended it to be. :D

8. Hey, don't call that a guitar looking bass, that's the Jack Cassidy sig which is a real bassits bass. Hell, it was even designed by one.

Sorry, I'll settle down now.

9. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota

it's a burns(which brand made guitars for brain may of queen) bass the girl played. it maybe made in korea.
    and the bass in the right image of #1 looks like a vox vintage bass?

10. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    that's Mike Watt? No wonder i thought he was the guitarist, he was wailing. but i was watching a hand-held vid.
    That Jack Cassidy bass looks mighty nice. But it shows a lot of these people were using hollow body double cutaways and you don't see many of those these days.

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Yeah, that chick is playing a burns "Bison", I think.

IMHO, those are all remarkably ugly basses!

12. Hey that pic on the right in the first post is Andy from the Chesterfield Kings. He works at the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY. And my best guess, and knowing him, that is a vintage Vox. :)
    He is retro all the way, but he just never left that time zone. LOL
    Dirk