1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Rig 3 question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttyR2, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Hopefully this is the right forum for a question about Guitar Rig 3.

Downloaded a copy and have found that it sounds like complete crap on both a laptop running Vista and a desktop running WinXP (with a SoundBlaster card). I've updated drivers, adjusted the volume/recording controls up and down. If I leave "direct monitoring" enabled, the bass sounds very clean with a background of nasty distortion (as in bad, all crackly and such).

The Guitar Rig site hasn't particularly useful in troubleshooting this problem. Basically *any* sound that comes through the Guitar Rig program itself is all crackly sounding.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a lack of RAM to me.

3. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Has 1GB installed, shut down all unnecessary services, etc.

The laptop has 4GB installed, but onboard sound.

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Sounds like a latency issue to me.

5. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    It is most likely a driver issue with your soundcard......or your soundcard is not up to the task. It could also be that your computer does not have enough resources like CPU capability (fast enough processor) and RAM.

There are many low cost alternatives to the traditional soundblaster type of audio cards on the market starting at 100 or so. You will notice a huge difference in quality and consistency moving from a stock soundcard to an ASIO compliant interface. Look up the Emu card and then go up (in cost) from there. MAudio and MOTU make some great products as well as Lexicon and others

Good luck,
    V

6. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    i think that you need a better dedicated audio interface that your using so you can get rid of the latencuy and have the quality of the sound to not be degraded. i have a copy GR3 and i suffer the same problem on my MAC and im fairly certain this is the solution. if anyone knows of good and inexpensive audio interfaces (ideally firewire) let us know

7. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd try ASIO4ALL if you haven't already.

8. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    Some of the best interfaces for the Mac world are from MOTU.....excellent support and flawless performance.

V

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Also you won't get the best sound in the world if you plug a passive bass into the line in socket of a soundblaster. At the very least, put a buffered pedal in the chain so that your pickups are connected to a high impedance load.

10. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    I had been running a signal from the effects send jack on my wifes Trace Elliot RAH250SMX to the line-in on the SB card. I also ran her (passive) bass into the mic input on the SB card. Both sounded good when running "direct monitor" without the GR3 software doing anything but as soon as GR3 is added to the mix, it sounds like hell.

I'll see if I can dig up a better audio interface card.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Get the ASIO4ALL as someone else pointed out earlier. You should be able to run that at 10ms latency using a Soundblaster or even built-in laptop sound, after configuring GR3 to use the ASIO driver.

12. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
  13. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL. Currently when I mute the Microphone in the WindowsXP sound control panel in the Playback section, I get nothing. Unmute it (i.e. use 'direct monitoring') and I hear the dry bass sound. I've tinkered with the audio routing in GR3 to no avail. The meters and tuner in GR3 do register the bass so GR3 is indeed getting a signal. Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

I'm assuming that I should be able to just hear the effects sounds from the desktop speakers hooked to the PC.

14. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Finally got it resolved. Had to nuke the Creative-branded drivers, reboot, then reinstall ASIO4ALL. Now GR3 is working fine.

15. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    Try Behringer USB interface, there are 2 types of them, one is for guitar (with jack input and mini-jack output, comes with NI software for amp simulation) and one is more for mixing desks or maybe even recording (one i have, with two rca ins and outs, mini jack out for headphones and even monitoring button).
    I found it really great for practicing and experimenting at home, and even for playing samples or loops live. For home, i plug bass in input, using rca-rca cable and rca-jack connector, and output to my stereo. No latency issues, no crackling (had same problem with onboard soundcard on my laptop), sounds as good as software can sound.