1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Security

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ok guys and gals, in a few days i leave for college, and i was wondering what i should do with my bass. as you've probably read in another one of my posts, i have my plan for an amp. now what should i do with my bass? i really want to bring my bass from hambone, but i am afraid it might get stolen...what has anybody done here to protect their basses? get a cheap bass, so if it gets stolen you won't cry about it? get a bunch of locks?
    help me out here!

Charlie

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    1 word.....

LoJack!!!

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    When I went to college I kept my bass in its case under my bed chained and padlocked to the bedframe. It couldn't be stolen unless they dismantled the bed. When I moved into a shared house I had a closet that I installed a locking doorknob on and I kept my valuables inside.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This man is sensible and does everything i do.

I however do one more thing, and i have an insurance policy for all of my things, and each of my bass items is named on that policy. I dont know how insurance works over in the US, but here you can list specific items.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    That's a very good suggestion. I now have my basses covered on my homeowners insurance policy. You can also get a renters policy to cover instruments if you live in a dorm or apartment

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I did exactly the same as The Hammer.... the only difference was I had rental insurance on everything in my dorm room. It ran me about $60 a month for this but I thought it was money well spent.