Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitars and amps...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by oliebrice, Sep 10, 2004.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I've finally splashed out and bought a GKMB150s, which should arrive in the next couple of days- very exciting! But my question is ... will it damage the amp in any way to play guitar through it? At the moment I lend my old guitar amp to the guitarist in my band for rehersals, but as I never play guitar these days and rehearse acoustically at home I'm wondering if I can get away with selling my guitar amp and letting the guitarist use my GK. Any thoughts?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Shouldn't hurt it unless he pushes it to the point of distortion and keeps it there.

Why doesn't he have his own amp?

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    IMO, Should be fine, even with distortion. You'll prob need an FX pedeal for distortion at that level. Guitars need very little headroom. 150 watts is plenty for a guitar. My practice amp at home is way too loud even for 20 watts. If anything you might damage the speaker cone from playing too loud, otherwise it probably is safe.

I used to have a 60 watt Fender Twin guitar amp. My ears were bleeding by the time I turned it up to 5, much less 11.

But I doubt if it sounds good.. bass amps tend to not have reverb, which is a way of life for guitarists. Reverbless guitar is really weird to my ears.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I played my Guild Thinline (like a jazz box but thinner) clean for jazz through an MB once. Sounded horrible. I was much happier playing through a Polytone.