1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gustavo Dal Farra slap technique (with clinc video)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by beelzelboss, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I unearthed a video of him doing a clinic! Now I ask you guys if you can help me dissect it! I've been going for hours and have made no progress. At all.

Maybe we can get someone translate this and help us!

CLINICA DE BAJO GUSTAVO DAL FARRA EN AMPM - 2011 - YouTube

What I'm having a big issue with is the little part at about 1:06.

I think he's playing a low E, then slapping some how, and then popping the high G.
    Also what he plays after that is beyond what I can track.

Can someone really dissect this, so we can learn how to play it! He is basically building up his technique to his famous youtube hit "rushed love"

I'm sure some of you slap bassists have similar ways of coming about making this sound, so that would also be helpful!!

Edit: I just discussed it with a friend. We are debating if the first note is an e that is the open bottom slapped, or the octave up popped. If either of those, how does he do it with the flamenco? How does he get that noise at all?:help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. Seriously guys? Nobody wants to help?

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    As far as I can tell, he uses his thumb for slapping upwards as well. He also does hammer ons pretty clearly in the first couple of frets which can be hard to do. I believe this is because he leaves the strings vibrating after he taps upwards in the neck. After that I see that most of the stuff he does technique wise isn't all that different than what a lot of guys use, be he uses various elements and that makes it his style.

4. DwayneParedes

DwayneParedes

May 23, 2011
    I tried figuring out Rushed Love by ear a couple weeks ago and some of the parts down. He starts with:
    G---14h16-14h16------------------------------------(4)-------
    D---14-----14-------------------(5)--------------(5)-----------
    A------------------------(3)-(5)---------------(5)---------------
    E--------------------(3)--------------(3)-(3)--------------------
    s s s p s s s s p
    G-----------------------0-------------
    D------(5)--(5)-----------------------
    A--(5)-----------x4h5----------------
    E---------(5)--------------------------
    s s s s s s p
    And that's about all I have for that. The notes inside of () are harmonics. Hope this helps.