1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gut String Advice Welcome

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by gypsydjango, Nov 6, 2019.

1. gypsydjango

gypsydjango

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    I have no experience of gut strings--yet to try.Those of you who have had experience of guts how do 'Gamut Red Diamonds' rate with other makes of guts?
    'Red Diamonds' good for both arco & pizz?

2. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Nylon winding on D and G ain`t propably too bow friendly but I haven`t tried Red Diamonds, but now discontinued Pirastro Pizzicatos. Those were like bowing Velvet Garbos, doable but very difficult with unpleasing tone.

3. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    I bow my red diamonds no problem. I've got lezners on my other bass, I like both, but RD's are a good starting point. Like Francois said, there's a ton of info on here for them, I read a lot of it before buying. I'm content with my RD's, but not sure I'll replace them with another set when they puke out...

4. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    I probably posted this in the other forum. The red diamonds are high quality strings, but I really didn't like the nylon wound D and G. The E and A are nice, as long as you can deal with the copper wrap. Green fingers and that copper smell...

5. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I have Red Diamond E and A on one of my basses. They are good strings. I find them stiffer/tenser than other wrapped guts (except Pirastro Oliv), and they offer good tuning stability. They are bowable but rather demanding of my arco technique.

6. gypsydjango

gypsydjango

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Many thanks guys for your replies--much appreciated.

7. Those are beef gut, not mutton, and have a reputation for being stiff. I’ve had Tynex-wound gut before and they have problems. Hard to get them to speak with the bow, and if the winding comes undone...

If this is your first foray into gut, just buy a good quality G like a Lyon and live with it for a year.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    They need to quit advertising them as gut and call them what they are: plastic wrapped over a gut core. Playing a natural gut D and G is a completely different thing!

birgebass and Sam Dingle like this.
  9. I haven't tried the Red Diamonds but if you're looking at bow-friendly strings from the Gamut line then maybe go for Pistoy. I prefer the thumpier/more oldschool sound of the Lyon strings but the Pistoys are easier on the bow. That being said, I think the Lyons are fine for arco too.

10. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    For me, the stiffer E and A is a good thing. Not sure I could really play on "regular" gut E and A without a lot of practice. Even as such, the RD E was a bit problematic starting out. As far as bowing went, the E and A bowed pretty well. The D and G were quite difficult. Imagine a more difficult Spiro. The sound is there, but it takes considerable technique to make it work.

11. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    I should add to my above post to include this: I would never use the D and G for any kind of orchestral work. I said the sound is there, but I was referring to the Paul Chambers type of jazz arco sound.

12. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Ive said this before, too, but maybe if I keep saying it Gamut will read this and take an interest. I'd love it if they developed a D and G without the tynex wrap using the same formula the Red Diamonds are constructed with currently. Or at least sell the E and A by themselves so I can pair other D and G

13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Dlugolecki.

Earl and JeffKissell like this.
  14. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    You can buy singles now. They have them here:

Gamut Red Diamond Gut Bass Strings